RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Driving impressions (and questions) thus far..

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving impressions (and questions) thus far..

Ok, its been about a week and here are some thoughts and a few questions I thought I'd share..

Before taking delivery I was actually a little worried I had paid too much of a premium over what I could get vs. say a modded 335 but..The very first drive out I had some random person walk by in the parking lot a say "Hey man, nice car!" Next day on the interstate some guy in a WRX pulled up along side of me and gave me a thumbs up.. Twice during the next couple of days I was stopped and asked about the car again. Very surprising, having once had an M5 all I ever got was dirty looks..lol and the S4 I might have gotten that much interest over the couple of years I owned it. Wow! Three-Thirty-What??

Well now that I've had a chance to drive it a bit, here's my thoughts on the car and the mods it arrived with..

1) The Euro wheel really stands out, makes the interior in my opinion. I knew it was a bit smaller dia than the US wheel but was surprised at how much when I saw it in person. The looks, excellent feel and ergonomics make up for it though IMHO. Well worth cost.

2) Exhaust sound is amazing, you really can't put it in words and do the milltek justice. It turns heads in parking lots etc no mistake about it. Sounds that good. And resonated + downpipes is perfect loudness without being too much so. Only downside is a bit of drone below 2K rpm but I really don't spend much time in that rpm range

3) Brakes feel really tight and solid. Ferodo pads seem to squeal a little at slow (like 3-5mph) braking at stoplights esp. if its rainy or cold but I assume this is normal right?

4) Stasis suspension really transforms how this car feels and drives.. Granted, I only have my recent S4 to compare it to but this suspension is serious business compared to the sport/lux feel of the S4. Cornering is flat flat flat, and sooo predictable. Really makes the car feel like a pure sports car IMHO! Only drawback is some road/tire noise and a bit bumpy on some of our roads down here. The lowered agressive stance looks great on the car, does not look cheesy at all.

Seems like I've heard others talk about the creaking sound from front driver side when pulling out of parking lots, driveways etc.. is this normal?

5) Shift throws are so much tighter and "solid" feeling as opposed to the S4, I suppose that's partly due to the strat SS kit.

6) The engine feels (and sounds) downright angry compared to the 4.2 in the S4. I used to refer to my old M5 as the beast but quite frankly this car feels 'considerably' more powerful than the prev gen M5.

Thats the surprising thing, I don't know if its the full exhaust + DP's and 93 gas giving it some extra juice but this car feels like it has tons of torque. It will break loose shifting to 2nd even with ESP on. Tires are stock PS's with lots of tread too.. Is this typical for this car??

To say this car has 80 more HP than the S4, no way.. it feels like well over 100 the way it pulls.

All in all an amazing car, I love it!!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have it set up really well.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:50 PM

Nice write-up
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great write up.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Stassis settings to smooth out daily driving...

I had the same complaint until I called Stassis. They told me to open the reservoirs up to 25 clicks out (counter clockwise). I have my front compression/rebound between 15 and 17 and rear is between 20 and 23 for street. The reservoirs alone made a huge difference, and the front compression being a bit stiffer helps keeps the inside rear wheel planted in hard cornering. Still, I've been having problems with inside rear wheels spin on hard cornering, with all traction control off (solid light) to the point where I can smoke the inside tire a long way, not good!. I have an H-sport rear sway-bar I'm going back to stock rear sway bar and trying an adjustable front in hopes of getting enough weight back to inside rear corner. If that does not work I'm looking into rear differentials. A friend of mine who is a tech at a Porsche Audi dealer say our rear diffs. share parts from a 944 which you can get a limited slip diff. I'll post something when I find out if anyone is interested.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM

Let's see some pics. What do you say?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

good info - thanks