RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Driving style?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving style?

Hello all,

Just wondering what everyone's typical around-town driving style is? As I read more and more about potential RS4 carbon buildup issues, I see that everyone says opening the car up and allowing the engine to breathe regularly is the key to a clean and healthy intake manifold. I know every RS4 owner opens it up when given the opportunity, but does that mean that its not a good idea to keep the rev's low when you're driving inconspicuously around the city trying to conserve some gas?

When I'm just cruising around, I typically shift between 3-4k and sometimes even lower depending on traffic situations but often wonder if this is hurting my car at all? Should I be letting it rev higher and does that actually decrease the blowback? Should I always be winding it up through the gears for a healthier engine?

Anyways, thanks in advance for any info/advice you guys have!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Run her hard and put her up wet?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ArcticRS4
Hello all,

Just wondering what everyone's typical around-town driving style is? As I read more and more about potential RS4 carbon buildup issues, I see that everyone says opening the car up and allowing the engine to breathe regularly is the key to a clean and healthy intake manifold. I know every RS4 owner opens it up when given the opportunity, but does that mean that its not a good idea to keep the rev's low when you're driving inconspicuously around the city trying to conserve some gas?

When I'm just cruising around, I typically shift between 3-4k and sometimes even lower depending on traffic situations but often wonder if this is hurting my car at all? Should I be letting it rev higher and does that actually decrease the blowback? Should I always be winding it up through the gears for a healthier engine?

Anyways, thanks in advance for any info/advice you guys have!
OK, well, I think I found the answer to my questions. This was taken from a post on a Porsche site that describes how to combat carbon buildup w/ your daily driving routine:

"...The problem is exacrebated by mainly the way we in USA drive our vehicles. Lots of idling and low rpm useage. Most engines spend their time operating at 30% of throttle or less and under these conditions it is more likely air flow in the combustion chamber will be backwards and purposely so. Over time build up will occur.
Couple of things you can do to help engine:

1) Do not overfill engine with oil. Overfilling causes more oil vapor to get into the crankcase air and more oil vapor to remain in the air that passes through the oil recovery system designed to remove oil from this air on its way to the intake system and combustion chambers. This oil vapor in the air from the crankcase being routed to the intake and combustion chambers contributes to the build up of deposits on the valves.

2) Keep engine oil fresh. Old oil will accumulate water and unburned gas over time and this makes oil more fluid and this results in more oil foaming and more oil foaming results in more oil vapor in crankcause fumes. More oil in these fumes means more oil vapor routed to engine intake and more deposits.

3) Avoid long periods of idling.
And contrary to what many buyers felt was proper for the engine, to use more rpms, not fewer. Those that attempted to drive the car like a big rig and short shift and keep rpms low, below 2000 and even lower in some cases would find the engine coked up in sometimes 30,000 miles or even less.

3) Use higher engine rpms. Granted this one's tough cause we are all seeking to use lower engine rpms to mainly save fuel. One doesn't have to run engine to redline every shift but any bit of extra engine rpms helps.
These DFI engines I think will deliver better fuel economy even if driven in this manner and this will help to keep the intakes clear of deposits. Any deposits will almost certainly affect fuel economy so nothing's lost by being a bit more "agressive" with the engine's rpms. And much is to be gained. If (when) engine deposits accumulate fuel economy will go down and the symptom worsen."

Full thread here: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...-good-buy.html

Guess I now have free license to live in higher rev ranges!!! WHOOO!!
Old 11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently both "spirited" driving style and BG44k helps ...