RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

:: ECS Tuning :: ECS B7 RS4 H-Pipe!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default :: ECS Tuning :: ECS B7 RS4 H-Pipe!!

Looking to get a more "tuned" sound out of your RS4 and a few extra ponies as well? Our H-pipe will do just that!

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

Last edited by ECS Tuning-Audi; 09-29-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Great mod, best bang for the buck!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good sound, but an x-pipe would be more appropriate for performance on an NA V8. A nice shallow one.

Think you could whip one of those up for us?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by sakimano
good sound, but an x-pipe would be more appropriate for performance on an NA V8. A nice shallow one.

Think you could whip one of those up for us?
Unfortunately all we have available at this time is the H-pipe.

I could try and pitch it to the owners to get something into production.

What exactly are the benefits of an X-pipe over an H-Pipe?

Jason
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
Unfortunately all we have available at this time is the H-pipe.

I could try and pitch it to the owners to get something into production.

What exactly are the benefits of an X-pipe over an H-Pipe?

Jason
h pipe sounds great, but so does an x. Hard to describe the difference...and in reality it's nominal. The x however is better for performance.

Here are a couple of nice links and some excerpts. They're from domestic discussion sites, but who knows V8 all motor performance better than the domestic sccene?

http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust3.html

Crossover Test Results:

By reviewing the data in figures 8-10 (below), it can be seen that when comparing the H and X types, the X crossover not only reduced 60 foot times and quarter mile times but increased trap speed as well. Functionally, the difference between the X and the H is, the X type forces the exhaust to cross between both sides. Based on the performance increases we noted with the X crossover, the scavenging forces created by the gasses crossing over in this way appear to be stronger and more effective across a wider range of engine speeds.

The X crossover is available in various combinations of sizes. In fact, Floyd Hand has a 1966 GTO coupe, equipped with a 455 engine and drive train that is very similar to the wagon. Times in 1998-99 were as quick as 11.70's at 114+ with the X crossover and full exhaust system. Floyd uses an X type crossover with a 3.0" diameter inlet and 2.5" diameter outlet. This configuration eliminates the need for reducers when 2.5" diameter components are used after the cross over.

Recommendations:

1. Always use a crossover of one kind or another. Our tests indicate that the X type gives additional improvements over the H type.

2. Mount the mufflers as far to the rear of the chassis as possible. An important characteristic of the exhaust system (behind the headers) is its ability to dissipate heat energy. Heat loss brings with it, gas volume reduction, enabling smaller mufflers and pipes to be used without penalty.

3. Always us the largest case muffler that you can fit under the chassis possible. The larger internal volume allows additional acoustical energy to be absorbed ,dissipated and eliminated.

4. Unless an engine is in the 500+ horsepower level or run at very high RPM, the maximum tailpipe size required for minimal power loss is probably 2.5" diameter. When the exhaust pipes and mufflers drop the temperature significantly, the volume of the exhaust gas is reduced and tailpipe sizes is not as critical.

5. When you must adapt various pipe sizes, always use long tapered cone reducers, such as, those available from Flowmaster. You can also use a crossover that has reduced pipe sizes built into it.
Someone forward that section about high rpm applications and 2.5" diameter to milltek lol
Old 10-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Good info!

I'm lacking in the V8 N/A department as I've delt with boosted engines most of the time I've spent around cars.

You learn something new every day!

Thanks!

Jason
Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The only X-pipe I know of on an RS4 sounded like ****. The owner quickly removed it...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
Good info!

I'm lacking in the V8 N/A department as I've delt with boosted engines most of the time I've spent around cars.

You learn something new every day!

Thanks!

Jason

No problem. That's typically the case in the Audi world...the all-motor concept doesn't work very well in Europe with the fuel prices being so insane. Boost is the way over there for the most part...and as a result the tuning companies out there tend to have trouble with these 4.2 and 5.2 cars.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
The only X-pipe I know of on an RS4 sounded like ****. The owner quickly removed it...
So...that's one example of one person being dissatisfied with one particular x-pipe part.

Now lets see if that opinion/review is universal. I'm going to bet...NO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDcNObZLpo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTA522robTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0bf15HOIaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6pwx4GoZvc

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xje...-take-off_auto

Last edited by sakimano; 10-06-2011 at 08:35 PM.