RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

ECU Reset

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Reset

So I decided to reset my ECU the other day. Car felt really sluggish after sitting at a body shop for a week having some minor work done. Not sure what might have caused this but when I got it back it just felt off. I thought maybe it was bad gas or from sitting around in 90F heat. Maybe that caused water vapor to accumulate? So ran it almost empty and put about 1/4 tank Shell 93, which usually my car runs well on, no change. Saw it was almost a qt low oil so added, no change. Hot humid weather changed to cool and dry, still hardly a change. Now I was getting worried. It really felt like the timing or fuel ratio was off so I did some research on here and QW forums and found some old posts about disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU (mine is stock so no reset button as with some tuned varieties).
Check Out http://forums.quattroworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/17861.phtml

Disconnected the negative cable for 20 min, plugged back in, restarted the car 5 min later and immediately you could tell something changed. The car had a very poor rough idle which lasted for about a minute, the EPC light came on and then the car idled normally. Shut the car and restarted to see if the EPC would clear which it did. I let it sit for about 5 min and then took it for a drive. Immediately I felt more low end torque and the throttle was much more responsive. After the oil temp was closer to 200 I took it for a quick run on the highway. The power was not only back but felt even better than before.

The car has been great ever since, like its been running on jet fuel the past few days. I wish I had dyno or VAG-COM results to backup my story but you will just have to trust me on this. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with a stock ECU. Also wondering if this should be done periodically regardless. I have owned this car from 42k-60k and cant remember a time that it ran better than it does right now. Obviously I am strongly considering a tuned ECU after what I just went through. Oh yeah, and a carbon cleaning since i have no idea if one was ever performed on this car.

Thanks,
CJM
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Always been a option on Audis - resetting the ECU so it has to relearn the car settings - Might be good to have someone with a VAG-COM read the codes that are stored.