RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Feedback and thoughts on a few mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback and thoughts on a few mods

I'm looking into an ECU remap on my rs4 but need to know what is best. I've looked into APR and REVO Technik the most. They both seem to be great software upgrades (both $700 as well) but does anyone currently run either of these on their rs4 and have some feedback?

Also, I'm looking into doing the JHM lightweight flywheel/clutch/short throw combo but would also like to hear from someone who has made the upgrade. How does it compare to stock? I don't really track my car but definitely like to have some fun around town. Is this a worthwhile mod for the stiff price? It sure seems that an NA motor goes hand in hand with this mod so I'm very interested in doing it.

Please let me know your thoughts on either/both topics. Thanks.

P.S. - I've also looked into Piggies but can't wrap my head around the huge pricetag. I currently run a Milltek cat-back, would this be a mod worth doing, also? I'm mainly looking for a little more grunt from the motor (I'd probably go catless)
Old 03-18-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking into an ECU remap on my rs4 but need to know what is best. I've looked into APR and REVO Technik the most. They both seem to be great software upgrades (both $700 as well) but does anyone currently run either of these on their rs4 and have some feedback?

I have the APR software. Very happy with it. Engine feels more refined and even better at high rpms. Launches better and with more authority after shifts. Not a huge power gain obviously, but the change in subjective feel is not subtle either. I went with APR over Revo due to their experience and large dealer network if I ever had an issue.

Also, I'm looking into doing the JHM lightweight flywheel/clutch/short throw combo but would also like to hear from someone who has made the upgrade. How does it compare to stock? I don't really track my car but definitely like to have some fun around town. Is this a worthwhile mod for the stiff price? It sure seems that an NA motor goes hand in hand with this mod so I'm very interested in doing it.

Do not install a lightweight flywheel on this car if you aren't a serious track junkie. The engine is rev-happy enough as it is. Remember, with a lightweight flywheel, the engine will rev down just as quickly as it will rev-up. This will make for a very choppy and difficult street drive, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. There is something to be said for holding a little momentum between shifts.As far as a short shifter goes, it is all personal preference. The stock shifter leaves little to be desired IMO.

Please let me know your thoughts on either/both topics. Thanks.

P.S. - I've also looked into Piggies but can't wrap my head around the huge pricetag. I currently run a Milltek cat-back, would this be a mod worth doing, also? I'm mainly looking for a little more grunt from the motor (I'd probably go catless)[/QUOTE]

Piggies really do nothing in terms of power. If you run straight pipes then you can get the APR tune recalibrated slightly, but you can't really do that on a street driven vehicle. Downpipes with the re-flash will get you another 5hp or so, and a deeper sound.

Bottom line is that this engine is near-maximally tuned from the factory. Yes, you can tweak it, but nothing short of supercharging is going to get you anything substantial. Best thing to do is probably use the cash for some 100 octane fuel. This motor will advance timing up to about 96 octane.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey thanks, Vijay that was extremely helpful. Sounds to me that an APR tune would be the only thing worthwhile, and of course saving up for a S/C Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Nicely said Vijay - was just gong to add to the lightweight flywheel info but you posted it so eloquently
Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ad2330
Hey thanks, Vijay that was extremely helpful. Sounds to me that an APR tune would be the only thing worthwhile, and of course saving up for a S/C Thanks again!
APR has a Spring sale right now and you get 10% off the RS4 $599 price. I just did my R8 yesterday , $970 with the 10% off, Noticed improvement right away but have not really been able to test since it's been pouring here. I did dyno last fall and got 338hp and 273tq at the wheels, mods being Stasis exhaust and evo filters, Plan on putting on same dyno again later this week to see if I got any gains.

Last edited by scott61; 03-30-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scott61
APR has a Spring sale right now and you get 10% off the RS4 $599 price. I just did my R8 yesterday , $970 with the 10% off, Noticed improvement right away but have not really been able to test since it's been pouring here. I did dyno last fall and got 338hp and 273tq at the wheels, mods being Stasis exhaust and evo filters, Plan on putting on same dyno again later this week to see if I got any gains.

I'll probably go with a REVO unless you guys all disagree strongly. There is a dealer about a mile from my place and so convenience is tough to beat. Hey how did you like your Gruppe M intake on your old RS4? I've looked into that but can't seem to get past the price tag.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Vijay is everywhere!

It was well put and makes me lean toward getting APR over REVO. I have heard nothing but good things about APR over the years.

Vijay, can the APR be turned on or off by the button on the wiper stalk?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ad2330
Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RS4bro
Vijay is everywhere!

It was well put and makes me lean toward getting APR over REVO. I have heard nothing but good things about APR over the years.

From looking at the APR site it looks like you can only get one program at this time for the RS4 so you can't change. Thats the same way it was for my R8, but was told as soon as the rest are available you can go back and get the rest for free. Also it's done on the cruise control, not wiper
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4bro
Vijay is everywhere!

Not yet. As of now it is a simple flash but the EMCS functions should be available shortly.

Quick Reply: Feedback and thoughts on a few mods