RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Few questions about rebuilt motor...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions about rebuilt motor...

So I just got my 07 rs4 back from the dealership today, they broke the whole engine down, new piston rings, full carbon clean. Installed my JHM lightweight flywheel, stg 3 clutch, Intake Spacers and LW Crank pulley. A few questions regarding how the engine should run.

Since I am still breaking everything in I have been "taking it easy" on her, still pushing it hard but not to redline. When I am driving along at a constant speed every 30 seconds- 1 minute I feel almost like the power cuts out for half a second. Enough to where the momentum will make your head bob forward ever so slightly and the RPMS drop. Has anyone ever herd of this. My tech was saying he it could be a combo of the LW pulley and LW flywheel that is making that happen but I'd like to think differently since the clutch is engaged and there is forward movement.

Also, the car is having trouble staying idle... it will never stall itself out but if I just let it sit there idling for 2 minutes the rpms will drop to the point where you think its going to stall then you here the big woosh and the engine rev up past 1100 and drop back to normal. This will go on and on.

Any thoughts? Could it be bad gas? The dealer filled it up at their pump which was not labeled with any octane rating... I have no idea, I'm stumped.

She defiantly pulls like a SOB now, that magic 5000+ RPM zone is heavenly now, can't wait for everything to be broken in. Also, if you drive it hard none of those symptoms are present.. only if you are following a car an remain at a constant speed, in 2nd gear it happens around 2700-3k..

Any thoughts, chime in.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

That sounds really strange!!! Never heard of anything like that. My friend installed his lw crank pulley, intake spacers, and carbon clean about a month ago..and never mentioned anything like this..
Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm, that idle thing ain't right. You should take it back. It's probably something as simple as a vacuum line connection, but it's not your job to find it - it's theirs.

The cut-out thing might be just an ECU adaptation thing and needs a few days to "learn" the new fuel/spark demands of the new motor. Or perhaps it's something else. Or perhaps its related to the idle problem. In any case, it needs to be resolved by the shop who did the work.

Cheers and enjoy your fresh motor
Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I guess I will just drive it, go put some good 93/95 fresh gas in and see what happens. I informed the dealer so they are aware of everything... Here is a video of the engine at temp running and dropping RPMS at idle...

I hope my phone camera can pick it up as well as my ears can.
Happens around the 19 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-y016OdLIM

Just uploaded at 4:05pm EST so it may need a few to process.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah def not normal..take it back and have them look at it.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ill drive it tomorrow and over the weekend and see what happens... any other thoughts from anyone feel free to let me know. hmpf...
Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have access to VAG-COM/VCDS? It may reveal some abnormalities.
I had something similar (not on an Audi) and it turned out to be a timing solenoid. It would stumble similar to yours...
Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Drove it today, vibrations got worse, also threw a check engine light, so its back at the dealer now getting looked at... I have a bad feeling about all this for some reason... such a tease got her back and less then 24 hours back at the dealer... whomp whomp whomp
Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

i guess they did not give you a new long block?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hopefully it's something simple like a bad MAF. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Few questions about rebuilt motor...