RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

First impressions of M3 coupe w/DCT

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First impressions of M3 coupe w/DCT

Some of you may be thinking about adding another car to the fleet or replacing your RS4, so this might be of interest to you.

Drove about 25 miles in mixed conditions today. Will have it for 2 weeks and look forward to swapping back and forth with the RS4.

Like the window switch location. iDrive a bit far back, and armrest useless for shrimps like me - I just bump my elbow. Still working on the ideal seating position.

iDrive unfathomable with a few exceptions. Thankfully real buttons exist to control the most obvious functions.

Car shakes a lot during warmup idle. Easily as much as the RS4. Smoother than RS4 once warm. But does the shake for a few seconds each time upon startup. Engine cools down faster than the RS4.

Engine sound can barely be heard. Quieter than RS4 - but thankfully no accessory whine like the RS4. RS4 sounds sportier under hard accel though.

Power delivery seems less frantic at higher revs than RS4. Might just be the smoothness. This example M3 has 5700 miles, and our RS around 15K.

Steering is light and precise, but lacks a bit in feedback. Not as bad a Corvette, but overall hard to feel pavement seams in parking lots, etc. Tires are still in good shape, but it feels like there might be the tiniest hint of tramlining that will become more evident as they wear down. The tires need replaced on the RS4, so it hunts and darts and I can't make a direct comparo just yet.

Chassis nice and firm with no secondary quivers when going over road imperfections - however it does creak around the rear quarters when crabbing over curbs.

Ride is well damped - not harsh, not mushy. You can read more about the road surface from the seat than the steering wheel.

Trunk space barely more than RS4 'vert with the top up.

Plastics around the door sills a lower rent than the rest of the plastics inside.

First report on DCT. Here's the thing I was most curious about. For reference, I've driven E-gear, F1, DSG, and R-tronic. A manual is still my favourite.

In auto mode, the pause before moving off the line leaves you wondering if the car is in gear for a moment before it launches. The pause is still there in manual mode, but not as bad. Kind of like some conventional autos. You end up giving it the boot to begin, then modulating back once progress is established. Kind of like some older Audi turbos.

Especially troublesome is braking and coming back on the gas. Even when the car is supposedly in gear, there is a really long pause before power flows to the wheels. Doesn't matter if you've downshifted or left the car in the same gear. For example, I came to an intersection where I wanted to make a right turn. The cross traffic was just about to get a green light, so I downshifted into 2nd while braking, then gently squeezed the throttle once at the apex. Nothing. Gave it more welly. Nothing. More welly. Nothing. Visions of being t-boned by oncoming traffic filled my head as momentum seemed to be the only thing that was keeping me moving. Finally it hooked up and shot me forward much faster than I intended. Wasn't going that fast into the turn or in the turn, nor was the surface messed up, so it seems unlikely the traction control would be alarmed.

Upshifts at part of full throttle are silky smooth and heard more than felt.

If while in Drive, you click on of the paddles to get a temp shift, the system stays in manual mode after that.

The shift paddles do not extend down far enough, and they require a bit more effort than I expect, given the light throttle, brakes, and steering. The iDrive controller also needs more pressure than it should, but I'm sure that is prevent accidental changes on bumpy roads.

7th gear is really overdrive, and very nice for freeway use. RS4 desperately needs this.

I'm going to read the manual and see if I can get rid of some of the longer pauses via iDrive settings. Hopefully this is just a software issue.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the lag you experienced is a big deal in the m3post forum.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Yes. Talked to the owner this morning and he says they all have this "feature". No fix available yet. Will investigate further.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have only driven a friends for a short time, but I also thought that the start was the most vague part. Also some delay from the time of pulling the paddle to the computer shifting, at least when cruising. Very quick at full pace. I felt like it was trying to act like an auto some times, but trying to be a manual at others. In comparison, the relatively primitive 355 F1 is almost more predictable. Slow or fast, when you pull the paddle it immediately initiates the shift. It may take 2 seconds to get it done, and it may not be very smooth, but it answers your command on the spot. I like that.

But there is no comparison in the speed and smoothness of the shifts at high revs and high throttle... sweetness!

Overall, I was very impressed with the car. The suspension tuning is pretty impressive stock.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by April

Engine sound can barely be heard. Quieter than RS4 - but thankfully no accessory whine like the RS4. RS4 sounds sportier under hard accel though.

Are you talking about the higher pitched mechanical noise around 1500-2500rpm in the RS4? Personally I love that sound and thought it was more attributable to the timing chain. For my ears it's a great harmony to 'normal' engine noises and adds a higher pitch that mates perfectly to the exhaust note.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by greatwhiteshark
Are you talking about the higher pitched mechanical noise around 1500-2500rpm in the RS4? Personally I love that sound and thought it was more attributable to the timing chain. For my ears it's a great harmony to 'normal' engine noises and adds a higher pitch that mates perfectly to the exhaust note.
That's my understanding as well...i've heard two different answers to the "whine." Timing chain at the rear of the engine (nearest driver) and the second i've heard is its the injectors? I'm no Audi master mechanic, so i'm not sure if anyone can give me a definitive answer. I like it as well. Reminds me of the old days of my supercharged vehicles. As far as the previous post about rough idling?? My RS4 has 20k miles, and has never had a rough idle at all, either cold start or warm?!? That was an odd observation to me.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Both are wrong, it's the high pressure fuel pumps that whines

You're mostly hearing the fuel pumps that operate off the camshaft.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The M-DCT is an odd driving experience. I have it in my E90 M3 sedan. Off the line, there is a lag. three point turns are a pain. When on it, the shifts are great - it rips them off. when loafing around town, it is okay but not great.

The second gear feels-like-it-is-out-of-gear-when-I-wanna-go-now is an issue. I have dealt with it by pulling it into first. I may make the turn at 5000RPMs, but it stays in gear. 7th gear RPM's are comparable to the RS4 6th RPMs, both around 3000RPM at 80mph. Both of these cars need a real overdrive.

Also, if you panic stop and get the ABS going, it will kick itself out of gear.

I had one "transmission malfunction" on start up. Shut the car off, essentially rebooting the computer, and it cleared. Gonna stop by the dealership for that one next week.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicht ein A4
The M-DCT is an odd driving experience. I have it in my E90 M3 sedan. Off the line, there is a lag. three point turns are a pain. When on it, the shifts are great - it rips them off. when loafing around town, it is okay but not great.

The second gear feels-like-it-is-out-of-gear-when-I-wanna-go-now is an issue. I have dealt with it by pulling it into first. I may make the turn at 5000RPMs, but it stays in gear. 7th gear RPM's are comparable to the RS4 6th RPMs, both around 3000RPM at 80mph. Both of these cars need a real overdrive.

Also, if you panic stop and get the ABS going, it will kick itself out of gear.

I had one "transmission malfunction" on start up. Shut the car off, essentially rebooting the computer, and it cleared. Gonna stop by the dealership for that one next week.
Have you done the software update?
I ordered a e90 M3, but I got the manual.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

The "supercharger" whine?

Quick Reply: First impressions of M3 coupe w/DCT