RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Goodbye RS4...Goodbye manhood

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye RS4...Goodbye manhood

Well I've had alot of fun lurking here while I owned my RS4. I loved that car beyond words and always will. It had to go for something more practical though. I just traded it in on an 09 A6 Avant, Phantom Black, Prestige. FWIW I love the Avant; looks, preformance, luxury, whole 9 yards. I don't really miss the all out acceleration that much (its only about a second slower to 60 at 5.9) and I never really pushed my RS4 that hard in the corners so I don't miss that much either. I think the 2 things I miss the most are the manual transmission and the exhaust note. Wish I could have afforded to own both. Thanks for all the help over the past year and enjoy your rides!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mind posting the year/mileage and how much you got for trade in?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2007 Phantom Black/Black, 35k miles, dealer gave me $39k. Maybe I could have sold it private party for a few grand more but it was worth it to me to not have the hassle. I think I did pretty good considering there was an accident on the carfax (uninsured illegal immigrant rear ended me...low speed and all but the bumper still had to be resprayed) and some scratch and ding repair that needed to be done to the front end and rims. Still got a great deal on the A6 too.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default curious

How do you like the 3.0 in the A6? I recently decided not to buy an RS4 after much searching, haggling, etc. gave me more time to think about it. I might regret my decision later, but sounds like I made it for some of the same reasons. I have two small boys and while they would fit in the back, combine traffic, etc. with the stick and its probably just not the thing I should spent $50k+ on as a daily driver.

So I am back to figuring out whether I want a new S4 or A6. Both have that 3.0 engine. Both would be roughly $45-50k the way that I would want them equipped and with discount. The new B8 interior room is much better than the B7. So I am curious whether or not you think that the 3.0 is peppy in the A6, or is it just too heavy (?) Did you consider the new S4 (?)

Sorry to highjack a bit...
Old 09-09-2009, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry you had to ditch it. Personally, the RS4 is so practical, that is why I love it. I can put 2 bikes in the back with the seats folded, or tote 3 kids (4 with my 10 yo in the front). AWD, safe as a vault, even better mileage than my old S4. I don't have much stop and go traffic here though.

And if I can keep from selling it, I will never feel the depreciation LOL.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jtrichel
How do you like the 3.0 in the A6? I recently decided not to buy an RS4 after much searching, haggling, etc. gave me more time to think about it. I might regret my decision later, but sounds like I made it for some of the same reasons. I have two small boys and while they would fit in the back, combine traffic, etc. with the stick and its probably just not the thing I should spent $50k+ on as a daily driver.

So I am back to figuring out whether I want a new S4 or A6. Both have that 3.0 engine. Both would be roughly $45-50k the way that I would want them equipped and with discount. The new B8 interior room is much better than the B7. So I am curious whether or not you think that the 3.0 is peppy in the A6, or is it just too heavy (?) Did you consider the new S4 (?)

Sorry to highjack a bit...
I needed a wagon/SUV because I need a place for my 2 English Bulldogs. They used to get the back seat but now that there's a car seat, they get the way back. So the S4 wasn't a consideration, but if they made an Avant you'd better believe it would be in my driveway right now. What I did consider (and came very very close to buying) was a Q7 TDI. In the end I just thought the A6 drove so much better; better acceleration, lower to the ground, corners better, better styling (IMO) better options etc, so I passed on the little bit of extra room in the Q7 and got the A6. Not to mention that with incentives the A6 represented a better deal.

As far as the 3.0, so far I'm very impressed. I'm trying to stick to the recommended break in period this time around so I haven't come close to full acceleration, but it seems to be very nicely paired with the A6 chassis and transmission. In fact the A6 recently won a Car and Driver comparison test against BMW, Merc, Jag and Infiniti. They tested it 0-60 at 5.6 sec. It also beat both v-8s in the lineup to 100 and 120mph so its no slouch like the old 3.2. The 310 lb/ft of torque kicking in at 2500 rpm is alot of fun. In fact, my wife thinks the A6 is faster than the RS4. Mainly because she would never push the RS4 past 5000 rpm but it still says alot for the 3.0.

link to C&D test:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bman040
I needed a wagon/SUV because I need a place for my 2 English Bulldogs. They used to get the back seat but now that there's a car seat, they get the way back. So the S4 wasn't a consideration, but if they made an Avant you'd better believe it would be in my driveway right now. What I did consider (and came very very close to buying) was a Q7 TDI. In the end I just thought the A6 drove so much better; better acceleration, lower to the ground, corners better, better styling (IMO) better options etc, so I passed on the little bit of extra room in the Q7 and got the A6. Not to mention that with incentives the A6 represented a better deal.

As far as the 3.0, so far I'm very impressed. I'm trying to stick to the recommended break in period this time around so I haven't come close to full acceleration, but it seems to be very nicely paired with the A6 chassis and transmission. In fact the A6 recently won a Car and Driver comparison test against BMW, Merc, Jag and Infiniti. They tested it 0-60 at 5.6 sec. It also beat both v-8s in the lineup to 100 and 120mph so its no slouch like the old 3.2. The 310 lb/ft of torque kicking in at 2500 rpm is alot of fun. In fact, my wife thinks the A6 is faster than the RS4. Mainly because she would never push the RS4 past 5000 rpm but it still says alot for the 3.0.

link to C&D test:

Congrats. I have two little ones myself. I love my RS4 and wouldn't trade it for another car at this time. But, if I did, I would also consider the A6 avant. Good styling and good performance...especially for a wagon. Enjoy.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I really like the looks of the new A6. Having two dogs myself I know what you mean, luckily no kids yet. I'm Avant man myself and if they sold the RS4 Avant here I wouldn't even have a choice to make.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Z-nomore
... if they sold the RS4 Avant here I wouldn't even have a choice to make.
Couldn't agree more. Or how about the RS6 Avant. I believe it was the fastest production car Audi made until the v10 R8. I often find myself wishing I lived in Europe...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bman040

link to C&D test:

thanks. can you tell me what kind of incentives you found?

Quick Reply: Goodbye RS4...Goodbye manhood