RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

h-sport sways arrived...soft or firm setting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h-sport sways arrived...soft or firm setting?

ordered eagle f1 gs-d3 tires to replace my PS2's...

also ordered the sways to improve the handling but was wondering if anyone can make a case for either soft or firm rear setting

i have read that the firm setting might be too rigid for the frame etc and might case damage over the long run...any truth to that??
Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM
gtc
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How about the mythical third setting - medium.

You can install it such that one side is set to aggressive, and the other side to soft. That way, you get the passive-aggressive thing going and not to mention, introduce a bit of awkwardness into your car's engineering.

Just kidding.

I don't drive aggressively, so I recommend soft. And even if I did, I hear that soft is the way to go. You can search this forum for threads on this subject.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM

thanks, i did do some reading, i just wanted some reassurance..car goes in tomorrow
Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Soft! Just be aware that if you push it you can now spin the car with over steer.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:01 PM

Default so youre saying that there will be a pronounced oversteer with the new sways?...

in a dangerous way or fun way?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mine goes on Monday....Gonna go stiff I think.........

Also getting the H pipe installed, Ferodo pads, short shifter.....Looking forward most to the Sways.....put the Bridgestone 275 summers on last weekend...and I had forgotten how much traction this car has in the turns.....
Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 PM

i stuck with 255's...i might need pads soon as well...will let you know how soft is tomorrow
Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No...........................

What I am saying is that I would suggest you remember that the car will change the way it handles with the new bars. I could with the bar set on soft push the car hard enough that you could get over steer. Without the bars that is almost impossible. I used to race the old 07 on the track and autocross. I managed to spin the car a few times while refusing to lift in slaloms and while going through Chicago boxes too hot. It can happen very fast and once the back breaks loose it can be hard to catch. Luckily I never spun the car on the track. I don't race the new 08 as I now have another car that is dedicated for racing.

The bars are great and I matched them up with the 275/30ZR19 Potenza RE-01R; it's an amazing combination on our car. The car could chase down an Evo and had kept up with a Ferrari Challenge Stradale on very twisty roads.
All Good Fun!<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&url=%2Ftires%2Ftires.jsp%3FtireMake%3D Bridgestone%26amp%3BtireModel%3DPotenza%2BRE-01R">http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&amp;tireModel=Poten za+RE-01R</a></li></ul>
Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM

Default duly noted, thanks for the heads up....

i was going to switch to 275 but ended up sticking with 255 and going with a tire thats supposedly better for wet conditions(rains a bit here)...

its still a dedicated summer tire (i didnt wanna fall for the all-season myth) and i read some good things about it...the tire also claims to ride smoother than PS2's

basically my playground is NYC and the surrounding tri state area...i dont track it, although id love to but im stuck using the mostly crappy roads to do my spirited driving

i just mainly wanted to get rid of body roll...

will find out tomorrow if it was worth the 400 investment
Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

If the bars dont work out for ya, I'll take them off your hands

Quick Reply: h-sport sways arrived...soft or firm setting?