RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

How likely would a supercharger kit be available for the RS4...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How likely would a supercharger kit be available for the RS4...?

I heard about MTM but for $25k I don't think it's worth it...I know APR will release their kit for the S4 and the numbers look pretty good. In fact, looks like it will def be faster than the RS4 and kit is around $8k...any thoughts?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2 weeks
Old 10-19-2006, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default not likely... too much $$ to develop a reliable kit on an expensive high-compression motor....

but you'll probably see some custom jobs pop up here and there with unknown reliability due to lack of testing and development.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 2nd that - and with this motor being so on the edge anyway - I would be worried about

the effects of the added heat
Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On the edge?

Explain? I don't know whether it is or it isn't. Certainly the bi-turbo in the RS6 had a good bit of headroom left in the HP department, and had a similar block, I'm not sure that this V8 doesn't either.

It seems to me that the problem with a supercharger is the engine management system and direct injection. Compression ratio can be dealt with using spacers. But as of yet, no tuners have much experience with this ECU and direct injection. It will take some time for them to spin up ... probably 2 weeks!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default With direct injection and 12.5:1 compression, doubtful

That's the first thing I considered when I popped the hood.

Space constraints aside, there are several issues;

The direct injection system means extremely high fuel pressure. IIRC correctly, it's over 120psi. I'm not aware of anyone that's developed a way to increase fuel pressure relative to boost in such a configuration.

Second, there's the engine's high compression ratio. Any kit would probably be limited to about 6 psi max and would require an intercooler...hell, there's no room for a centrifugal blower now, where the hell they gonna stick an intercooler?

While smart observers might note that other high compression motors have been successfully blown, when you consider the Audi's direct injection, I do not know of any precedents.

If anyone DOES pull it off, it'd probably be a roots style blower (replacing the intake manifold) with dual smaller intercoolers down by the foglights.

The plumbing, cutting, and hardware costs will easily make this kit $10K...for about 50whp.

Last but not least, there's the warranty issue. The powertrain warranty WILL be voided..no question about that.

Now...how attractive is a $10K kit that gets you 50whp and voids your warranty?

And would you want to be the guinea pig to allow someone to hack up your car, potentially grenade your motor, only to have them say, "sorry, we thought it would work?"

Count me out.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default this was what I was afraid of...now I'm comtemplating about just getting the

S4 and throw in APR supercharger whenever it comes out...but I love the fender flares of the RS...dilema. My car is not due until January but I need to decide fast.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default MTM's car is supposedly running strong

and they are just sorting out some tuning issues.
Another company is advertising one on their website SKN tuning.<ul><li><a href="http://www.skn-tuning.de/product.aspx?productid=16826&amp;TabID=3331">http://www.skn-tuning.de/product.aspx?productid=16826&amp;TabID=3331</a</li></ul>
Old 10-19-2006, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Engine go boom....

this engine moves WAY to fast. I don't think I would even think about a blower on the engine without internals. Even eith internals I would still be scared. Hell even on the B6 I would be scared and that engine isn't under nearly the same ammount of stress as the RS4 (yes I know they are different engines).
Old 10-19-2006, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So what I want to know is....

when is your car getting some STaSIS luv'n?

Quick Reply: How likely would a supercharger kit be available for the RS4...?