RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

How is this for proper `treatment' at your local beloved dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is this for proper `treatment' at your local beloved dealer...

So I went to the local dealer for the scheduled 15K maintenance. However I'm left scratching my head because it seems I came back with more issues than prior to coming in!

Here is what I had requested be done:

1. Perform 15K mile service: oil change, filter change, cabin filter, etc. etc. - as prescribed by Audi maintenance manual.
2. Fix a small shopping cart dent on the rear driver side quarter panel (behooves me how I got it since I always park miles away from others). Keep in mind I have the dent protection plan (part of the tire and wheel plan), so this was covered (or at least should have been).
3. Knocking sound from front passenger side suspension area - possible DRC leak.
4. Check all shocks for DRC leaks - well documented and chronic issue on RS4s.
5. Creaking from glovebox latch/handle. At all times under all pavement. Extremely annoying. Needs replacement.
6. Creaking from B-pillar area, very noticeable especially when over bumpy roads. Perhaps clip on the interior is loose.
7. Check for any recalls (turns out there was one for the telephone module).

So here is what I got based on above 7 pts:
1. Saw a record that oil and oil filter was changed, though paperwork said 8 qrts were used, thought I had used 10qrtr last time around. What is the actual number? No indication if cabin filter was replaced, door seams lubed, and other items as `by the book', but I dcided to give them the benefit of the doubt that they carried all as prescribed by Audi.
2. Dent fixed, but they couldn't negotiate the full amount their third party dent guy charged, so I ended up paying 25% of it. No big deal, as his work was excellent.
3. I was told that allegedly all my shocks were fine. Here is where the fun begins. Next day I went to get my winter wheels/tires on at an indy shop and the guys called me in to ask why both my front shocks are leaking so badly??? I looked at them, definitely not a `perspiration', but an outright leak. I called the dealer back, and allegedly the mechanic I asked for (supposedly the RS4 in-house resident expert) didn't inspect them himself and someone else signed off on the shocks being good!
4. The knocking sound that I've been hearing coming from the front suspension area of the car has been getting worse, and my first suspicion was - which I also verbally articulated to the service manager upon check-in - was that it is DRC related. Now I am pretty sure it is a result of the DRC fail. Dealer claimed they didn't hear anything during their 3 mile test drive.
5. Glovebox creak - it was very obvious where it was coming from, the latch (housing the lock) needed to be replaced. Instead, dealer used felt tape (was charged the cost of the tape and 1/3 hrs worth of work). But get this, not only have I seen no improvement, my glovebox door is actually slashed in 1 place and visibly scuffed in another from a blade knife - something that they used to cut the felt tape!!! So now I need a new glovebox door and a handle!
6. B-pillar creak - similar issue: charged for 1/3 of an hr and cost of felt tape. Zero improvement. Car has been in service for 11 months and came in just under 14K miles. Dealer alleged that creaks are not covered after 12 months (haven't passed that yet) or 12K miles (barely over it!). I didn't mind paying a 1/3 of an hr but not getting it addressed and staring at a slashed glovebox door is not something I expected!
7. And to top it all off - the telephone module recall. After the swap, the Bluetooth on the car is not discoverable, and I can't pair the car with any BT device I try!

So you guys tell me is this an absurd level of service or what? The lone bright spot was the service manager, who was very cordial and in my subsequent conversation has assured me things will be addressed. So let's see if words will be backed up by actions. Will have to drop the car off this weekend. Been an aggravating experience to say the least...

As I believe in second chances, I'll withhold the name of the dealership for now as they have said they will take the car back and `make things right', whatever that means in their parlor... Stay tuned.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds familiar on the DRC front. Same happened to me a few weeks back. I posted about it.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 AM

Default that sux - good luck

it appears that you have handled it well.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that's not so bad...

...last time I took my 750i in for service, not only did they do nothing (other than apparently top off the oil...no filter change), they spilled a drink inside the car and didn't even bother to wipe it up.

No matter, they'll have the car back off lease in February.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I feel your pain...

last service appointment they washed the car and used some rubber thing to wipe water away (california something) and left fine scratches all over the paint. personally, i blot dry and the pain stays in perfect condition. i only wish i had a lift to do service myself, because no-one cares about your car more than you do.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:46 AM

Default Your respons just goes to show you how we've started expecting less and less from dealers LOL

It almost seems that if you received your car after service with 1/2 the issues addressed and no visible scratches or other damage - one should be grateful!!!

But wait, who is paying who???
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just had my DRC replaced and the other day i started to hear a mild clunking in the front driver's

wheel well. I hope that it isn't the DRC failing again.

On another note, your dealer's techs are lazy and they need a swft kick in the *** by the service manager. however, if they get that, then they will most likely retaliate by giving even more ****ty service.

I feel your pain also. As far as the creaks an squeaks, fix them yourself. I had the A-Pillar squeak and the dealer only made it worse by adding felt to the area he though was making the noise. I took it apart again and started moving parts and found that it was the wiring harness rubbing against the plastic pillar covers and secured everything with supertape. Easy fix!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default with that said, I haven't had any such problems with my Audi dealer....

...in fact, they paid for my lower front spoiler, which mysteriously disappeared a few months ago.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 AM

Default Let's hope it is an isolated incident. It's partly because of BMW service I gave up on that brand!

Will keep you posted on how I resolve this...
Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That might not mean the DRC is failing, just that the tech didn't do the job right..

It took 3 visits to the dealer before they replaced all the right parts and drained/filled the shocks properly.

Quick Reply: How is this for proper `treatment' at your local beloved dealer...