RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

I am NOT a real enthusiast!!!!.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am NOT a real enthusiast!!!!.......

Originally posted by a fellow AW member:

a true enthusiast will do exact that ... take a older model and mod it

anyone with a **** load of cash can drive a new ca off the lot ya know.. and no older models can beat the b5 platform as easy either ..
we'll you in "the few years" ..if u stick with ol' school or not..
i would NEVER EVER buy this car new for that much money ..i'd take a URQ or sportQ for that cash and go to town on it (fully built 20vt ...) but that again it's an enthusiast thing .. you would not understand it

No, I must say, I am not a real enthusiast. At the age of 3 , my parents forced toy cars upon me, much to my dismay. The 10-12 tyco sets I owned as a kid were a heavy burden to bear also at such a tender age. At 18, I reluctantly purchased my first car, a Mustang GT, but since it was NEW, I couldn't have been an enthusiast back then. I really didn't know much about modding, but I did some custom paint work to customize it. That's all I knew back then, but, heck, I wasn't an enthusiast, after all. After that I bought a NEW Honda Prelude in 1988. 4-valve per cylinder technology was just gaining momentum, and my non-enthusiast *** just loved the new technology. In 1993 I again bought a NEW Honda Prelude VTEC. This was the first iteration of Honda's full VTEC application on both intake and exhaust valves, that was affordable. The Acura NSX was the only other car at the time employing that mechanism. (Surely an enthusiast wouldn't buy one of those when you can buy a 70's Stang and make it faster for much less). But, I bought the car for it's pretty headlights, not it's marvelous engine, since it was NEW, and I'm not an enthusiast. In 1999, I pre-ordered my NEW B5 S4 in May and took delivery in September. It was one of the first B5 S4's in the U.S. I know.....what a non-enthusiast thing to do!!! Anyway, over the next 4.5 years that I owned the car, I put in over $30k in mods including one of the first publicly sold stage 3 kits in the U.S. But, then, since I bought the car NEW, I must not have been an enthusiast. Oh, and by the way, I wasn't an enthusiast......that's why for 4 years I produced and promtoted the largest Audi-exclusive car show and aftermarket tuner event in the country. Then in 2004, I bought my Nissan 350Z roadster. NEW. Yes, another non-enthusiast move. I modded that car to the tune of over $20k too. I was involved in all sorts of non-enthusiast car clubs, driving events, shows. You name it. All those events for people who aren't true enthusiasts. I also tried to do my best with my diminished mental capacity to try and inform people about the science and physics involved with certain mods, and why certain things would work and not work. All this due to my utter disdain for the automobile. When I decided to purchase my NEW RS4, I was once again, not at all enthusiastic about it's superb balance, styling, and ENGINE. I mean, really. What's so exciting about a forged V8 with a 12.5:1 compression ratio and 8300rpm redline!!! What real enthusiast would ever pay attention to the multitude of reviews of the car that uniformly describe it as one of the finest driving experiences on the planet. So, in the end, I must say...I have never bought a used car. I have always bought new and always will. I just love new. Period. But then, I am not an enthusiast, and I just don't understand.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who said that, lemiuex? he was certainly talking out of his ***.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vijay, you're over-analyzing. It's very simple: to be a REAL enthusiast you must drive a B5

Nothing less than a B5 will do, and CERTAINLY nothing more! Well, scratch that, there is nothing more!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Exactly:^)

I think we can all agree... that being on this site is a sign of an enthusiast.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor

Nah you need a perpetually not running right 90q 20v turbo conversion to be a true enthusiast
Old 01-09-2007, 10:49 AM

pay no mind, it's just teen angst.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 AM

damnit - since i drive an SUV, what the hell does that make me?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:08 AM

LOL
Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Well look at the demographic...

It's cheaper to buy a used B5 S4 and mod the hell out of it. It's also generally a much younger age group resorting to this. We've all been there.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did drive a B5, but it was new so that doesn't count.

Quick Reply: I am NOT a real enthusiast!!!!.......