RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

I Drive Slow Because I Can Drive Fast

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Drive Slow Because I Can Drive Fast

For whatever reason, I'm finding myself driving slower in the RS4 then I drove in my S4. For example I was driving the Turnpike (NJ that is) at around 78 and now I'm doing it around 73 and I'm not sure why.

Perhaps with the new engine/exhaust I'm getting a similar speed sensation at lower RPMs? Does this make sense or am I just nuts?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 PM

you're nuts
Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I Drive Slow Because I Can Drive Fast

I am with you on this one buddy. After the break in, I really took it to this car. I loved every second of it but after a while I didn't feel the need to speed. I know part of the reason is because there are no limits to this car. A lot of times i looked down and I was at 150mph in a 50mph rather busy road. I don't want to say I outgrew it, but I speed only when I think about it anymore or of course when someone wants to go!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Funny you should say that...

In the wide open with no one close by, I let loose. But anywhere else, I drive fairly slowly, just letting the Milltek sing and burble and pop.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I drive slower than ever on the street

because driving wide open on the track is just so much more fun!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Default Re: I Drive Slow Because I Can Drive Fast

you start driving slower on the streets as your driving skills progress. At least that the case for me. After I went through a few months of rally driving school years back, my driving style changed dramatically. I did not have anything to 'prove' to myself, or "challenge" myself on the streets anymore.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You've grown up - with the RS4 there is no need to "make up for the deficit"

No charge for the first psychoanalysis session
Old 12-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You are prob driving even slower

At 75 the speedo seems to be off by 4 mph or so
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't say I'm experiencing the same phenomenon.....

I don't speed like I used to in my 20's, when most males feel thay have something to prove, but I do routinely take my beast into triple digits. Mind you, I was a speed maniac. Never drank or anything, and always made sure the road, weather traffic conditions permitted it, but I drove FAST. One year in college, I left Baltimore at 11pm and made it home to Portsmouth, NH less than 5 hours later. 473 miles including one stop for food and two stops for gas. That was in a Mustang 5.0. I no longer do any sort of sustained high speed driving (wife, kids, responsibility), but just short sprints to experience the acceleration, sounds, etc. For the most part I cruise around 75 mph on the highway. During the summer, I do get up around 5am on a few Sunday mornings when the roads are empty and go out for some thrill rides on the vast network of back country roads around where I live. Around town and in populated areas, however, I'm usually at or below the speed limit. Still, I'm glad I lived to have some good stories to tell over a few beers with the guys!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Default Re: you're nuts

No, I'm old. 35

Quick Reply: I Drive Slow Because I Can Drive Fast