RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Importing RS4 to Canada from USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing RS4 to Canada from USA

Well I've gotten the pricing and lease rates on my RS4 from my dealer in Montreal. They're out of their minds. While the RS4 costs approx 1/3 more than the S4, the lease cost is approx 80% more...

So I'm taking a pass on my car which was to be delivered in a week or so ...and am now looking at importing an RS4 from the States, which will save me over C$17k on the purchase price including taxes once all is said and done.

Audi Canada is really dumb to have priced the RS4 the way they did here, with the strong Canadian dollar it makes no sense to buy the car in Canada...

Anyone have experience importing an Audi from the USA?

Mick
Old 06-21-2006, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Importing RS4 to Canada from USA

I have heard that Audi Canada will not honour the warranty in order to discourage cross border shopping. Have you checked it out?
Old 06-21-2006, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not yet

But doubt they could do that, what about used cars imported and people travelling?
Old 06-21-2006, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think if you can prove that you were relocated or what not, warranty would be honoured

But for the purpose of importing a vehicle to save money, Audi could easily deny you warranty.

In fact, guess who's doing this right now and is retroactive?

Porsche.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They could not get away with that. Besides it is done in the UK. People buy from the continent to...

Save big bucks. As far as I know they are still warrantied and they are left hand drive to boot.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have taken this a bit further and here is what I know so far...

1. The Audi Warranty IS applicable across Canada/USA. If you buy a US Car and import it to Canada you will have the same warranty coverage. This is straight from the mouths of Audi America. You may get some double-speak from their reps initially, but once you get them to answer the question pointedly (took me two calls) they will confirm the warranty is fine.

2. See WWW.RIV.CA - the Canadian Registar of import vehicles. They do not yet have information on the 2007 Audi models re what models are admissible [for import] into Canada. In the past models like the US-version RS6 were not (bumper differences apparently). RIV advised me to call Audi America to ask for a written statement that the US-version RS4 is admissible into Canada. Unfortunately Audi America refuses to be helpful on this point because, in their words, "We don't encourage cross-border buying." and they are under no obligation to give this information to a non-governmental person. So essentially today you would NOT be able to register a US-version RS4 in Canada until RIV gets info from Audi re the 2007 models - even then it is [remotely] possible that Audi America may deem the US-verison RS4 inadmissible into Canada and then buying and importing a US-version RS4 will be out of the question. When I asked RIV about when they typically get yearly info from manufacturers re admissibility they said "around late August".

Hope this helps.

PS. What are the specs on the Montreal car you are giving up on? I'm in Ottawa and I'm getting tired of waiting for mine...

Cheers, Karl
karl at blomquist d0t ca
Old 06-21-2006, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I imported my S4 from the states and tried to get the dealer to do warranty work...

They were about to do it and said the car is within warranty when all of a sudden they decided to check the car's status, it was rebuilt, so they did not honour the warranty.

If the title was clear, they would have done the work under warranty.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, they can.....

If you're a Canadian citizen who lives in Canada, and are importing a car from the US, Audi Canada is under no obligation to warranty a car that technically isn't theirs. They are resposible for the cars they import into Canada, and that's it. They will make exceptions for US citizens moving to Canada though.

Likewise, I'm pretty sure in the UK if you import a grey market car, it is up to you to get warranty on your own.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:59 AM

Mick,

If you dont mind, could you tell me the leasing numbers your dealer gave to you?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Care to post the lease numbers?

I don't see how it could cost 80% more when the car is about $30K more. That doesn't make any sense.

Quick Reply: Importing RS4 to Canada from USA