RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Introduction - '07 RS4 Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction - '07 RS4 Owner.

Hi,

Been lurking for a while now but I needed some advice so I registered.

First off: been driving my Imola '07 RS4 for a few months now. Came to me with 52k on the clock and I've added a couple more K to that number over the summer. I love my car.

So here goes.

Does anyone here have experience with changing brake pads on an '07 RS4?
Is it a job that can be done easily done DIY or should I spend the money and get a professional to do it?
Is it generally accepted that when you replace the pads you should also replace the rotors? Eurasia Motorsport informed me today that this is common practice allowing the pads and rotors to bed in together. Sounds suspicious to me, but...

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also: Here's a photo shortly after I purchased:

Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pads are super easy so long as you know how to safely jack the car up and remove the wheels. Just pull the pad retaining pins straight out with a pliers and the pads pull out from the top. For the rotors, if you have a ledge on the outer circumference then your rotors may or may not be done. A micrometer is needed to check the minimum thickness. Note that a caliper will not work because the ledge will interfere with the measurement. Have fun!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice new ride! It looks like you already have the "euro" black optic grille mod. Or maybe the yellow comes like that. I want to get one for my ride. ECS sells em for about $350.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies.

The front grille is the stock grille including the license plate holder (the photo just manages to disguise it). All I did was Plasti-dip the silver surround as a quick test to see if I liked it blacked out; I do. One day I'll replace the grille with the cleaner looking euro style.

For the time being I'm sorting out the brakes as both pads and rotors need changing. I'm looking at getting the JHMotors lightweight rotor rings and the Hawk HPS pads. Does anyone have experience with these pads? Opinions seem to vary on their performance compared to the cheaper OEM from Pagid.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice! Never thought of using Plastidip on it! I would just keep yours like that...no need to buy the "euro" one. I may look into that for my ride.

As far as brakes, LOL that's a touchy subject. What are you doing mostly with your car? Mostly DD and fun around town? If so the JHM rotors should be fine. I've kept my stock rotors and went with Stoptech pads and they were great on the track. I've heard that JHM rotors don't hold up so well on track. But for the price..its not bad if you need to replace them more often.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BADRS4
Nice! Never thought of using Plastidip on it! I would just keep yours like that...no need to buy the "euro" one. I may look into that for my ride.

As far as brakes, LOL that's a touchy subject. What are you doing mostly with your car? Mostly DD and fun around town? If so the JHM rotors should be fine. I've kept my stock rotors and went with Stoptech pads and they were great on the track. I've heard that JHM rotors don't hold up so well on track. But for the price..its not bad if you need to replace them more often.

Hope this helps...
I have heard of a few people say the JHM rotors ended up shuddering after some aggressive tracking. I've heard that from people with pad deposits on stock rotors too though, so not sure what to believe. I had the JHM rotors on my B7 S4 and they were solid, but it was a daily driver and did zero track days with those rotors, so that's not answering the trackability question.

If I were tracking the car infrequently (maybe 1x-2x/year), I'd probably stick with stock. Brembos work well. Upgrade to the 6 piston brembos or alcons if you're a certified track junkie or are finding that you're pushing the stockers past their limits. If you're just a DD RS4 with some fun mixed in, the JHM rotors are a nice option and a good bit lighter. Price is about the same as stock isnt it?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
I have heard of a few people say the JHM rotors ended up shuddering after some aggressive tracking. I've heard that from people with pad deposits on stock rotors too though, so not sure what to believe. I had the JHM rotors on my B7 S4 and they were solid, but it was a daily driver and did zero track days with those rotors, so that's not answering the trackability question.

If I were tracking the car infrequently (maybe 1x-2x/year), I'd probably stick with stock. Brembos work well. Upgrade to the 6 piston brembos or alcons if you're a certified track junkie or are finding that you're pushing the stockers past their limits. If you're just a DD RS4 with some fun mixed in, the JHM rotors are a nice option and a good bit lighter. Price is about the same as stock isnt it?
They are cheaper than stock rotors...
Old 10-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Banned

thought they were both around $600 per front pair?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

JHM sells stock rotors @ $690 for front pair. ECS is a little cheaper. JHM sells their lightweight rings for $520 for the pair.

Quick Reply: Introduction - '07 RS4 Owner.