RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

lease BT: buy outright or lease

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lease BT: buy outright or lease

altho i was planning on buying outright and skipping all the car sales nonsense, my audi guy (sales mgr - who is a friend) called all excited after running lease numbers, potentially for himself.

he says the residual is so high on the 2 year lease that it looks damn good to lease for 24 months. roughly $7K up front (including all the title/fees + obviously some "down money") and $1200-1300 month. a 2-year ownership experience sounds pretty good to me, since i am looking forward to either the RS6 or R8. also, the option of pre-paying the lease saves some money too.

who has gone through this exercise on this car? i know this might sound somewhat silly to those of you who are buying experts, but i've always just bought what i could afford and tried to avoid any interest. but in this case, it might make sense to keep more of my cash working for me and only shell out a portion of the whole car cost to lease.

i don't think the money factor is too hot, but it is such a short lease that it mitigates that somewhat. i don't have exact numbers yet. has anyone else figured through this yet.

haven't decided whether to run it through business yet either. so remove that from the equation.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:27 AM

Default Just went through the same process

I was going to pay cash for mine outright but the advantage of leasing it through my business is too great to ignore. The tax and cash flow benefits make it a no brainer for me at least.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ygm

I think the 24 month lease is the sweet spot too. I ended up going for the 36 month lease and now I think it was a minor mistake compared to the 24 month.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:23 AM

Default Audi lease numbers are dreadful right now...

...I just went through this, comparing the RS4 to the S4 Avant I'd ordered. The RS4 leases were all north of 1500 with my dealer. (I agree with the thinking that putting money down on a lease just to bring down the payment is a not really worth it.) In the end, I'm leasing the S4 Avant for what I had hoped to be paying to lease an RS4. I'm happy with the compromise though; love the Avant and for urban environment I drive in, the S4 is plenty of car [he keeps telling himself].

The lease numbers on the Q7 are pretty good, though. They obviously want to move that car.

Have fun with those RS4's...I'm jealous!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:25 AM

If the car is totaled at any point you are out your up front payment....
Old 06-09-2006, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. Leasing does not make sense unless you can write-off a large portion of the payment.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Out of curiosity, how many are NOT leasing/going to lease?

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Buy it unless you're writing it off..

It's really simple. The numbers SUCK. If it was near where the 2006 A8L 4.2 was this time last year it would be a completely different story (24mo - 12k - 70% residual - .00125MF - Inceptions - $1098mo w/tax - $79k msrp).
Old 06-09-2006, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Buy it unless you're writing it off..

How does buying a hugely depreciating asset ever make sense unless your going to drive it into the ground. If you lease you can invest that $73520 in even the worst yeilding money market account and still make decent money. If you're buying and financing you'll need to add the interest (over 7%) to the price making it an $80000 depreciating asset. If you have the money to make the payments, it's always better to lease unless, like I said, you're going to keep the car for 10 years and put loads of miles on it. Run it by any accountant - they'll tell you the same thing. BTW how would one honestly right off any significant amount of an RS4??? Are you really going to rack up that many commuting miles between offices??? Paint your company logo on the side???
Old 06-09-2006, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What about Premier Purchase?

Quick Reply: lease BT: buy outright or lease