RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Let's say we have to drop a quart every 1000+ miles and

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's say we have to drop a quart every 1000+ miles and

we keep the car 100,000miles or less. It cost us about $500 in oil if you top it off yourself. What is the big deal? The car cost us $80,000+ with tax. Is everything else about the car not worth this little inconvenience? We bought a high performance Gmbh machine. Its half way to a low priced exotic and you know the problems and cost involved with those. I say, if oil consumption is the only major problem we all encounter then bring it on.IMHO
Old 07-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Exactly, I've been trying to make this point for a while.. Thanks for spelling it out.

People are talking about oil consumption like it's a big expense.

If you can't afford the extra oil, how can you afford the mileage and how can you afford the car?

The ONLY issue I see with the oil consumption is that it creeps up on you and can lead to catastrophic pain on the engine if you don't monitor it. I've heard of one RS4 owner in the UK who didn't get a warning light and who's engine was bone dry and shut down and overheated.

Obviously it requires a careful watchful eye.

But beyond that, what is the big deal?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think it's a knee jerk reaction to be upset about this. In the big picture it's no big deal. So...

I'm suggesting that everyone set your PDA to remind you every week to check the oil.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Couple things...

1. A qt every 1000 is excessive, any way you look at it. Had a 01 Jetta that used a qt every 3000, and wasn't happy about it.

2. What about having to constantly remember and worry about where the oil level is? Much more so than under normal circumstances, such as a car that doesn't use oil or has relatively low consumption.

Anyway you choose to spin this, cars that use a qt very 1000 miles should be viewed as having a problem, however minor or simply annoying it might be.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:41 PM

Default So, the $75k car needs...

to be monitored closely and watched with a careful eye? I'm of the opposite opinion that a car with that much engineering and costing as much as it does, should not burden it's owners with an excessive oil consumption issue. JMO.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:57 PM

Default I hear you but remember..

Cars costing 3x as much cause 3x as many headaches. I know of people with Maseratis that are in the shop 4x a year, every year.

I just don't know that cost is equal to these issues not being there.

I wish I knew the engineering reason for why the oil consumption is so high. Maybe there was a tradeoff made in the design?

If Audi would be more up front about the reasons we could at least have a better way to look at this.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ever heard the saying, This Rolex doesn't keep accurate time but who cares? Some...

things in life are a tradeoff. Oil consumption for an engine that turns 8250 red line, 420bhp and gets 20+ MPG is fine with me. But it's obviously not for everyone.IMO
Old 07-16-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: I hear you but remember..

Cars like Maserati are usually in for tuning issues if anything.

I just think it's a very bad situation with oil levels dropping or fluctuating like this on any car. You get below add and it's engine damage time.

Don't count on Audi being upfront regarding this...a few years back VW was having the same type of inexplicable oil consumption issues for the 2.8 and 2.0 engines, and they never addressed it other than to put customers on an "oil consumption monitoring program". VW even had forms to that effect which were to be kept on record at the dealer and submitted to VW for follow up.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Okay, but people here experiencing oil consumption at < 1000 miles are not...

anywhere near 8250 RPM redline(presumably) during first few weeks of ownership and break-in. Your reasoning has some logic, but in reality, I don't believe that's what's happening here in these cases.

Look, I don't mean to be raining on anyone's RS4 parade, but merely pointing out that it's both unacceptable and unsafe...and Audi should not be shipping these cars without educating customers on the potentially high oil consummption, if aware of it from the get go.

But, like I've said, don't count on an admission of this issue by Audi anytime soon.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The 200hp outboard on my boat burns one gallon of two stroke oil for every 50 gal of gas. It's

Designed to burn oil. I never thought twice about it and yes it's a two stroke and not a four stroke but it turns 5900+ rpm. It's a guess but maybe this RS4 engine has to burn a little oil to keep the friction from generating too much heat. I believe it's primarily an aluminum block and some components turning that 8250. I would rather burn a little oil than have other issues.

Quick Reply: Let's say we have to drop a quart every 1000+ miles and