RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Longtime M3 owner, purchasing my first Audi on 3/19 (2008 RS4)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longtime M3 owner, purchasing my first Audi on 3/19 (2008 RS4)

Hello Audi world...I must say posting here is a surreal experience after years on BMW forums (E46 & E92 M3 boards). I am picking up a 2008 RS4 from Reeves Imports in Tampa on 3/19 (drivereeves.com)
I read the feedback from the previous post about upgrading to an 07 RS4 from a 10 S4 and completely agree with the "it" factor...after test driving a few locally, the S-powered exhaust note alone was enough to sell me. I can't wait to drive it home!

I was hoping to get a few comments from current owners to help me understand any benefits to owning a 2008 and things to look out for. Such as:
-Bluetooth integration (
is easy to pair, quality of sound, etc)
-Navigation
(seems less user-friendly than my current 2008 M3 "iDrive")
-Common maintenance items
-Any other good to know items you'd like to share.

Thanks all, I look forward to hearing from you...
-Rob Thornton, Cincinnati
Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Rob,
Welcome to the forum and congtats on your purchase. The electonics(NAV and Bluetooth are not as updated as the new Audi's are.They are the prior generation of NAV ect.. However I have never had any issues or complaints other than the location of the NAV screen(you look DOWN)instead of straight . Two things to look out for is the DRC which is easily fixed with a STaSIS or KWv3 coilover kit upgrade and carbon build up( I got the dealer to cover a cleaning inder warranty). I have my RS4 for sale on Autotrader for 500 less and 6000 less miles than the one at Reeves. If you do not mind me asking could you PM the final price you paid. It would help me with my ad. Once again welcome and I hope I answered some of your questions
Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

RS4 Raider has given you most of the items you need to watch out for. I will disagree with him on the DRCs. They were fixed by Audi and in the reviews I have read offer a overall better ride than the Stasis units.

A lot of us have added the TTRS flat bottom steering wheel (write up in the tech session here on that)

There is also a issue with oil cooler lines (might want to have the shop look at this before you pick the car up):http://forums.quattroworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/21810.phtml
You should have a great drive home.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys...I will definitely ask the dealer aboout the oil cooler lines, that's a big one (and a big part of the reason I didn't get a 335 given all the engine cooling issues).

Actually Reggie, I thought the RS4 came stock with the flat bottom steering wheel so I will want to look into that...very cool mod!

Raider - I got the car for $46,500 which includes the CPO so it seemed like a fair deal. I wish it had the maintenance package that includes oil changes, etc but oh well

Have fun out there fellas...

-Rob
Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RevRob
Thanks guys...I will definitely ask the dealer aboout the oil cooler lines, that's a big one (and a big part of the reason I didn't get a 335 given all the engine cooling issues).

Actually Reggie, I thought the RS4 came stock with the flat bottom steering wheel so I will want to look into that...very cool mod!

Raider - I got the car for $46,500 which includes the CPO so it seemed like a fair deal. I wish it had the maintenance package that includes oil changes, etc but oh well

Have fun out there fellas...

-Rob
Sorry, they also put 4 new tires and replaced the front pads and rotors.

I see a few comments out there about overall cost of ownership and while I'm not getting the car to SAVE money, I'd like to hear your thoughts on that. It doesn't seem any more expensive than any other 400+hp car with a similiar fit and finish...?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you Rob. Enjoy the RS4 it is the best car I have ever owned. My Euro wheel is my favorite MOD.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome. Enjoy the RS 4...it is a OUTSTANDING car and has and unbelieveable sound track and feel. I currently have a 2011 S4 loaner while my car is in the shop. It runs nicely and has good pickup (DSG tranny) but it is no where near the same car. The V8 growl and handling performance is better than the S4 (IMO). RS 4 is a classic...
Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Let us know your gas mileage driving it home. I got ~26 after I picked up my car in Scottsdale and drove it home to Colorado.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm the guy (or one of the guys) who traded the 2010 S4 for an 07 RS4 and am happy, happy, happy. The only miinor dissapointments with the RS 4 are
1.) the audio quality in the sound system is not great. Worse than my 01 and 10 S4's. Lacks bass. 2.)No ipod integration 3.) the phone doesn't seem to load my contacts when my phone is paired like it did in the 2010. I guess I have to enter them manually (which is a huge drag) 4.) the voice control is an older generation so not as intuitive or extensive 5.) location of the nav screen is less than ideal. These items are more than made up for in the smile I get every time I start it up.

Pairing my phone was fast and super easy.

I live in Seattle and bought it in Portland and got 24 mpg on the drive home. My dialy commute is fairly short and slow and I'm gettting 17-18 mpg.

Before I decided what to get the RS4, I drove a friend's 2011 M3 for a weekend and while I know personal preference is key here, I like the RS4 better even though it is older.

I'd be interested in your reactions if you do it.

Last edited by dcoy; 03-13-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

What kind of phone do you have? I have an iPhone 3GS and when I go to the "memory" tab of the phone section, I see all my contacts.

Quick Reply: Longtime M3 owner, purchasing my first Audi on 3/19 (2008 RS4)