Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This damn new forum, my reply to this is way up top "good feedback"
Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Guys,

I'm Rob - the poster of the original thread.

Scott mentioned he would be posting it up here so I thought I would say hello

I didn't actually 'know' I had build-up in my inlet as such, but after reading up on it I was pretty sure it would be inside my engine.

As I plan to the RS for a while I wanted to make sure she was in good condition, and just can't except a high performance car where the performance is constantly slipping away.

I'm really pleased with the results and the sound she now makes is pure audio ****!

We ended up using Milltek straight through downpipes. I spoke to MRC reading the O2 senor placement issue and after looking into it they confirmed it’s actually not an issue. They are very talented guys who know what they are doing so I’m happy to take their word for it.

The down pipes mate with my milltek non res/non cat back system I already had.

Give me a shout if you wan to know anything
Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Btw although slightly off topic.... I once saw a great thread on here with a pictorial step by step guide on how to remove the amber indicator piece from the front headlights....does anyone have the link as I can't find it??!!

Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by GotRS?
Good feedback. I was querying the 420 vs 414 difference too. Anyway I don't feel too bad then with my 330whp with a Milltek and Revo. That 135 must be a rocket too.
Yeah, 330whp with Milltek and Revo sounds about right (i get 5whp less with Milltek but stock ECU, which makes sense). I don't think Revo are claiming more than 10whp anyhow, the good pickup with them is in tq and also the increased HP and TQ numers are all across the rev range as opposed to peak RPM.

The conversion for SAE vs. DYN horsepower is this: 0.9866 (so the 420 becomes 414, the last number being quoted by BMW for their E9x M3 vs. AofA which quotes the 420PS number).

Here's the history:

A scottish dude named Watt figured that a horse could do 746 watts of work.

Germans estimated that their (wimpier) horses could only do 736 watts of work and they called their measurement Pferdestaerke or PS.

Conversion factor is approx 0.9866 SAE = 1 PS.

Similar convention difference when it comes to fuel octane ratings measurement, it is diff in the US vs. Europe (our 93 is not their 93).

Here's a fun fact: the E39 M5 was rated at 400hp, which translated to a 394 SAE and BMW marketing in the US was 'mad' at missing the 400 magic number. The E60 M5/M6 are 507hp, which translates to 500SAE - the magical mark. Ditto for the 135/335i engines - in Europe they are rated at 306hp, which in US is a flat 300 SAE. You gotta love the numbers game...
Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You actually lost power with the Milltek? Wow.....I think you are the only person I have heard this from. I have heard anything from 8-14hp gain
Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RI A6
Milltek has downpipes for the RS4, but these were custom without cats.

Milltek RS4 downpipes have an issue, the upstream O2 sensor is placed farther away than the stock sensor. The custom downpipes that this guy had fabricated, placed the O2 sensor in the right place.
What problems?? i have the milltek down pipes and cat back. i have had no issues and the car runs hard. I also have revo tune specificaly for my set up. works perfect! i just got the sp plus, i have a 100 octane tune, program in there and want to see if i get a significant increase over the 91. going to switch to 100 this weekend. unfortunately i only have access to a BUT dyno.

so is the only way to see if you have this build up to take off the manifold?
is there a cleaner that can be ran through the motor to cleas it out? i.e. full aditive
Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

not to be a nerd, but a HP is defined as follows:
the rate (per time) of work (force over distance) an average horse can do: he can lift 550 lbs 1 ft in 1 sec

550 ft-lb/sec

the work is Distance x F (force, weight in this case = mg), ft x lb, divided by time gives the rate of work or power

I think the difference bewteen SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and DIN or International/metric is stirctly the measurement method and unit conversions...

this is a simplification, but is generically true...

Horsepower (hp or HP) is the name of several non-SI units of power. It was originally defined to allow the output of steam engines to be measured and compared with the power output of draft horses. The horsepower was widely adopted to measure the output of piston engines, turbines, electric motors and other machinery. Different regions adopted different definitions of the unit. Most countries now use the SI unit watt for measurement of power.
The definition of a horsepower unit is different in different applications; application outside of the context of a particular definition will be inaccurate.
  • One mechanical horsepower of 550 foot-pounds per second is equivalent to 745.7 watts
  • A metric horsepower of 75 kgf-m per second is equivalent to 735.499 watts
  • A boiler horsepower is used for rating steam boilers and is equivalent to 34.5 pounds of water evaporated per hour at 212 degrees Fahrenheit, or 9809.5 watts
  • One horsepower for rating electric motors is equal to 746 watts
  • A Pferdestärke is a name for a group of similar power measurements used in Germany around the end of the 19th century, all of about one metric horsepower in size.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

btw: here's the difference

US 550 ft-lb/sec
Euro 75 kg-m/sec converted to ft-lb's ~ 542.48 ft-lb/sec

542.48/550 ~ 0.986 or so
Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may not be a problem.
I'm told by MRC that Audi does not control mixture on a per-cylinder basis. If that is the case, then O2 sensor placement is less important. The only place it might make a difference is at 8000 rpm.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

That sounds correct. Timing can be controlled on a per-cylinder basis, but mixture is just monitored on a per-bank basis, i.e., cylinders 1-4 have a feedback loop and cylinders 5-8 have a separate feedback loop.

Quick Reply: MRC Tuning vs. pippyrips' B7 RS4