RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

My front bumper ruined? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My front bumper ruined? Help!!

I've been a long time lurker on this forum (love the before and after photos) and today I finally had a good reason to create an account an make my first post.

I took a road trip this weekend. When I stopped to get gas, I notice a couple leaves stuck in the grill. As I was pulling them out, I noticed was appears to be a spill of some sort, right next to my grill. I grabbed a rag out of the trunk and went to wipe it off. Didn't even make a dent. When I got home, I tried a clay bar and also tried bug and tar remover as well as a very mild over-the-counter scratch remover compound. No results whatsoever.

This spill appears to be embedded in the paint. I can't feel it with my finger, nor can I pick it with my fingernail. I just washed my car on Friday before I left for my weekend road trip and everything was perfect then.

A month ago, I had my front grill replaced because it was cracked. The dealer did a good job (I think) and both the front bumper and new grille seemed to be just fine. But if you look closely at the spill stain, it appears to have finger prints in it. Almost like it happened while somebody was working on the bumper. I wonder if they used some kind of solvent to install the new grill that ate the paint? But that was over a month ago, and everything seemed just fine until today.

I completely dumbfounded as to what it is and how to fix it. Any ideas???

Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

could it be egg or soda? someone jealous of your car?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have no idea what it is. It looks like dried milk, but you can't feel it. The paint feels totally smooth. It feels like the stain is under the surface somehow. I had a car get egged years ago and you could feel it. The dried egg was very rough.

And the pattern is so strange as well - it looks like you can see circular finger print motion where it was rubbed in and then wiped in a downward motion. It's also in a very odd spot for vandalism. I mean, if you were a vandal, wouldn't you mess up the hood instead?

I'm taking it to a local body shop tomorrow to see what their detailing dept. has to say about it. Hopefully they have a stonger compound than my over-the-counter Meguiars paint cleaner. I'm praying it doesn't need a re-spray. Not only would it be pricey, but re-sprayed front bumpers are more succeptable to rock chips.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it won't buff out then get it resprayed. Nothing wrong with a good respray. In fact, I quit using clearbra years ago and simply respray every so often. No biggy and it holds up just as well (or better) than factory paint. In this case, your comp. insurance should cover it, minus your deductible.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Eh, I have a $1000 deductible so it's probably not worth filing a claim as I bet the respray is in the $1,000 range.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you sure about the $1000 ded.? That seems really high on comprehensive claims, but not collision ded. I would guess a respray is under $500, but I've not had it done on the RS4. If they want to take the bumper off, maybe then...
Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just took it to the body shop around the corner (they also have a detail dept.). The detailers tried acetone, a light compound, then a harder compound. They even tried something they use to get rid of lime stains caused by parking garages. Nothing even made the slightest dent. The detailer was completely stumped. He said he's being doing this 15 years and never seen anything like it. I asked him if he thought I needed a re-spray. He said, " Yes, because if we use anything stronger, it's going to peel your paint off and you'll need a re-spray anyway."

I went ahead and ordered a full detail as well so in a few days I should get it back looking better than new.

I may never figure out what this stain is or how it got there.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Something very strong - battery acid, brake fluid, or bleach perhaps. How much for the respray?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

It definitely looks like a bleach stain, or similar. I'm leaning towards vandalism of some kind, but it just doesn't make any sense. If you were a vandal, wouldn't you hit the hood or key the door, or whatever. It's just such a weird spot for vandalism.

Then I was wondering if it happened when I was driving - like a truck spilled some hazardous chemical or something. But if that was the case, it would be splattered everywhere, sprayed by the wind, etc. I think this spill was obviously done while the car was still as you can see how the liquid ran down. And what's up with the finger prints? It looks like somebody rubbed it around a bit before the liquid dried and etched its way into the paint.

I wondered if the dealer had used some kind of solvent when they were installing the new grille. But that was over a month ago and if they had used a harsh chemical, it would have faded the paint gradually. I've washed the car several times since then and up until Sunday, it was perfect.

I'm completely stumped. The detail pro was stumped too.

The re-spray is $700, which is pretty much exactly what I was expecting. I'm trying to look at the glass half-full. I bought the car used and the front bumper wasn't perfect - there were a few stone chips, etc. I touched them up, but it still wasn't like-new. So at least the re-spray should take care of those as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

"The dealer did a good job( I think)" When you had the front grill fixed from the dealer it looks like the contact was from the person working on your front grill "fingerprints". I suspect the dealer used a GLAZE to cover it up as you would not notice the bottom bumper like say you would a hood. Some glazes will hide paint damage for a few washings over a month period no problem. I beleive your dealer screwed you. I have never heard of someone vandalizing a front bumper as you would have to bend down and go out of your way to do damage. It all points to your dealer.

Quick Reply: My front bumper ruined? Help!!