RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

My oil consumption saga...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My oil consumption saga...

My car has close to 2000 miles. I have followed the break-in as instructed in the user manual. At about 1500 miles my low warning light came on. I went into the dealer they checked it, my oil line was at the top of the lowest one third. The dealer put one quart in which brought it back to the bottom of the highest one third. All seemed okay, until on the way home my low warning light came on. I checked the dipstick and it again was at the lowest third. Again checked underneath the car to make sure that nothing seemed leaking, which it wasn't. Dealer said this wasn't abnormal as he said he expected it hadn't been fully topped off during PDI. He put one more full quart, 1/2 quart at a time and checked it after running the car for several minutes. After the second full quart it again was at the bottom of the upper third mark. I (understandably) have been keeping an eye on it, and today was surprised to find the oil level at the top of the bottom third mark. Putting in 1/2 quart at a time it took a full quart to bring it up to the expected upper third. So here I am close to 2000 miles having put a total three extra quarts into the car with no obvious source of leakage or consumption. This is much more than I ever saw in either of my M3s. I will give the dealer an call tomorrow, but I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Repost but go to link for RS246.com.......

The site has a lot of post about the oil usage. I believe that it may slow but will always be an issue with this high rpm engine.<ul><li><a href="http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&amp;file=viewtopic&amp;t=5 4296">http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&amp;file=viewtopic&amp;t=5 4296</a</li></ul>
Old 07-16-2006, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks like you broke it in 'by the book' instead of motoman's way
Old 07-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Default Re: My oil consumption saga...

Running the car for several minutes after topping off is pointless, as it is under load or at higher RPMs that you're going to experience blow-by in a car that's burning oil.

Anyway, it's a shame this is happening on a car with 2k on the odometer.

The ONLY silver lining I can think of here, and it's a long shot, is that the factory fill oil may have an unusually low evaporation point, and that a different oil may help offset the problem.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many posts about exceesive oil consuption do we have to read until someone

actually admits that there is something wrong? Maybe Motoman's technique is the answer?( I sure as hell would not follow Audis recomendation based on the oil consumption issues discussed on the forum). It will also be interesting to chronicle Fluffheads oil consumption, seeing that he didn't exactly follow the book. I'd like to hear from RS4 owners that have not used oil if there are any. Also has anyone actually used the Motoman technique and what are they experiencing. I really feel bad for those that have the oil consumption problem. I hope it will diminish.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Default I agree...this is a very high proportion of oil consumption issues...

considering how early it is and how few cars are out there at this point. Hope it's initial production runs and can be corrected, or that it's somehow the oil. My 05 B6 S4 uses no oil from change to change(5k miles), and I run it fairly hard...in the 3-5k RPM range.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unfortunately, these aren't inital production runs.

The same problem persists in the european released cars
Old 07-16-2006, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some of the first European customers actually returned their cars to Audi as they were unhappy with

the oil consumption. This was almost a year ago IIRC.

I remember posting about it then and guys like RXBG (lol!) called BS on it.

I'm not asking for a cookie. I was just passing along what I found out about the car. Some people just hear what they want to hear though.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b7/msgs/33449.phtml">Whoops.</a></li></ul>
Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 AM

Default UR right, I stand corrected...

I was referrring to initial production vehicles for the NA market, but in the case of oil consumption, it wouldn't be applicable. I was not aware of the same problem with Euro models, though. Thx.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, maybe I'm the first, but I actually had an oil leak coming from my oil cooler line

My tech took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together and no more oil leak. Anyway, I cought it right when it started and when he checked the oil level he said my car hasn't eaten a drop. I only have 740 miles on it now, but I seem to be the only one who hasn't lost any oil. We'll see what happend over the next 1,000 miles though. )
By the way, at what point does the oil level light come on? On my S4 it came on if it was even 3/10 of quart low. I don't understand how people are running 3 or more quarts low and the light isn't coming on. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: My oil consumption saga...