RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Near touchless car wash at home. Once you try it, you'll never go back!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Near touchless car wash at home. Once you try it, you'll never go back!!

Let's begin by saying that I am an obsessive-compulsive car detailing fanatic. I use Q-tips to clean in and around my car's badges, I clean the inside surface of my wheels, etc. My car is also Phantom Black which makes it that much harder to get and keep in pristine condition.

About two months ago, I bought an electric power washer designed for medium duty use. It has a pressure range from 1200 to 1800 psi as well as a low pressure detergent applicator mode. I now swear by this device for cleaning my car in a touchless manner.

Now....I know a lot of people seem to have issues with high pressure on the car's paint finish, but believe me, the way the water stream exits the nozzle has a lot to do with it. It can be a "cutting" stream (bad), or a "softer", more dull stream. My electric Husky washer delivers this softer stream. You can put your hand right in it and it doesn't start to feel harsh until you get about 6 inches from the nozzle. Above that distance, it is a very fine high pressure mist that feels pressurized, yet soft in weird sort of way. More like humidifed air than water almost.

Commercial heavy duty washers used for tasks like stripping paint and public touchless car washes that use harsh detergents and VERY high pressures are a different story again. I am not suggesting one use either of these methods.

In any case, the reality is that with conventional washing, no matter what device(s) you utilize and no matter what soap you use, you will scratch your car every time you wash it. It is simply a result of the dirt being moved around on the paint surface. Not so with a pressure wash.

I rinse first thoroughly with a medium pressure wash. Next I apply a low pressure detergent wash and let the car wash soap really soak on the car for several minutes. Next, I quickly apply a detergent wash using medium pressure and again let it soak for several minutes. Next, I do a high pressure rinse. Next step is to spray the wet car with a quick detailer ( I use Griot's Garage Speed Shine) and re-wet the car with a very quick medium pressure spray to completely distribute the detailer. I then dry the car using a premium grade microfiber drying towel. The use of the detailer on the wet car prior to drying really helps give you a streak-free dry.

The results are perfect. Not a fine scratch to be found. The water beads perfectly indicating that my wax layer is still nicely intact. And....there isn't a speck of dirt to be found on my drying towel indicating that the pressure washing touchless method does in fact remove all the dirt.

This washing method may be overkill for a silver or white car which hides fine scratches, but on darker colors, it's fantastic.

Try it....you'll never go back.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks. I may try this given that I'm an OCCDF as well, :-)

My neighbors already think I'm crazy as they observe me washing the car every 3 - 4 days.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why not use this product, Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. A lot of car detailers use it.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.eshine.ca/proddetail.php?prod=172">More info...</a></li></ul>
Old 07-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Default 'water softener" property means

salts and/or phosphates. me no likey that idea.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:32 PM

how do you manage the inside of your wheels?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You have to check out this site: Autopia. Detail haven.

<ul><li><a href="http://autopia.org/">http://autopia.org/</a</li></ul>
Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Have you tried this on a car with a clearbra as well?

From what I've been told, and from what I've seen clearbra's don't like pressure washes.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I take it one step further...

by using a CRSpotless system between the faucet and the pressure washer. This really cuts down on any spotting what so ever. And I've been using a pressure washer on the clearbra for a couple of years with no ill-effects. Like what was said, as long as you are not using the paint-stripping pressure, it's all good.<ul><li><a href="http://crspotless.com/">CRSpotless</a></li></ul>
Old 07-04-2007, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Use the Audi wheelbrush

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/17524.phtml">wheelbrush</a></li></ul>
Old 07-04-2007, 02:35 PM

Default i was thinking more how

he gets at the inside of wheels? crawling under the car and cleaning a 1/4 section at a time, while rolling car back 1/4 at a time??? i can't see it.

the only time i've cleaned inside of wheels is when i've had the wheels off and getting rid of snow debri buildup during off season.

Quick Reply: Near touchless car wash at home. Once you try it, you'll never go back!!