RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New owner(long)...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner(long)...

Hello. I just picked up a 2008 Daytona RS4 that replaced my B7 S4. When the RS4 first came out, I remember seeing so many posts stating that it wasn't worth the $20K premium over the S4. While $20K isn't chump change, I have to whole-heartedly disagree! I spent two years in the S4 and I find it difficult to believe these cars are even related. Yes, the controls are all familiar, but the RS4 feels like a completely different platform.

I loved my S4 - to me it was the complete package. It was a no-compromise vehicle for my needs/wants. The RS4 just takes EVERYTHING to the next level. I feel that when I show someone the RS4 I should just say "this one goes to 11." From reading these boards I had prepared myself for the upgraded power and exhaust note, but what really surprised me was the steering. I had always felt the steering on the S4 was a bit too "light" and vague. The RS4 feels completely different - and I like it soooo much more!

Anyway, you all know what I am talking about. I do have a question I was hoping to get some help with. I had the Stasis Motorsport suspension with Ohlin's on the S4(agressive street configuration). I was told by my local dealer that I could install this kit on my RS4. What I would like to know is if it is a good idea. Is there a significant difference, or any difference at all, between the Stasis kits for the two vehicles? I have only put a couple hundred miles on the RS4, but at this point I am content with the handling of it out-of-the-box. I would love to reduce some of the wheel gap, and I loved the way the Motorsport kit transformed the handling of the S4. Obviously, I have already paid the price for the suspension, but installation on the RS4 is, apparently, more involved because of DRC. If my set-up is appropriate for the RS4, I would probably go ahead with the swap. If not, I could sell it and pay for half a year of gas for the beast. I appreciate any guidance you all could offer. Thanks for reading all of this. Life is good!

Scott
Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Several have gone with the Ohlin's and I have never heard a single regret
Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You won't be disappointed...

...I also had the Motorsports on my B6. Bought the RS4 and thought the DRC was much better than the B6 stock suspension, but really no comparision to the Ohlins set up. It transfers very nicely with just a couple different brackets and the DRC plugs. The only question would be if your springs on your B7 are as stiff as you would like (mine were 800/1200). It is even better on the RS4, im guessing due to the slightly stiffer platform.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:35 AM

Thanks! Just the information I was looking for.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default go with the 800/1200 springs.

Shocks can be tuned nicely for bad roads by opening up reservoirs and compression/rebound adjustments. I run res. at 22 clicks out and c/r somewhere around 15 to 17 clicks out on the street. Front I usually run 2 clicks in (clockwise) tighter than the rear. From there you can tune it to your likings. I've had the res. as far out as 25 clicks, makes expansion joints very tolerable.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree

I, like you, went from B7S4 to B7RS4. Two toally different vehicles aside from interior and instrumentation. The RS4 is a beast and with the Ohlins, it handles like it should. Stock suspension is dreadful IMO, you NEED to do that mod.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you sell your Stasis Motorsport suspension already?

According to Stasis you can have your Motorsport suspension updated and use it on your RS4. I recently put the Stasis SL's on my A4 but they told me that I could move them to an S4 or RS4 by just putting different springs on them that would be more tailored to the weight of the S4 or RS4. The springs swap out relatvely easily. I'm changing my setup from the 600-1000 recommended for the A4 to 700-1100 later this week.

Anyway, if it's not too late you may want to consider moving your Stasis setup to your RS4 and updating the springs rather than buying the same setup over again...

John
Old 04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You people are killing me.

After some track time in mine, I really yearn for the ohlins. the stock is definitely better than the S4, but shows its limitations on the track.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Go for it!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 PM
jba
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Talk to stasis though before you do this, as the motorsports do have a pair of internal valves...

that are not "end-user" tunable, and i'm not sure they're the same between a4/s4/rs4. Call stasis to be sure.