RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New RS4 owner and new member to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RS4 owner and new member to Forum

Greetings everyone,
I just recently flew one way to Chicago, purchased an 07 RS4, and drove it back home to Colorado. Needless to say I love the car. I have a couple questions that the local audi dealership hasn't been able to answer to my satisfaction...

I have noticed that sometimes I bounce off the rev limiter @ 7000 rpm and sometimes is allows me to accelerate the the actual 8250 redline. What conditions determine the rpm that the rev limiter is set at?

Has anyone figured out how to update the firmware on the MMI system to recognize larger (SDHC) memory cards to expand the maximum recognized MP3 content?

Has anyone figured out a way to disable the ABS system for track use. I find it to be a little inhibitive to absolute thresh hold braking. I wouldn't want to permanently compromise safety so a solution that could be switched on and off would be preferable.

Any information from your collective knowledge and experience would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats! Enjoy!

Rev limiter is 7000 until oil temp display reads a temp and not "Max revs = 7000" (I think it's 120 degrees).

I have 2 fairly big cards, but I think they are 2M. I want to say 4M is too big. I don't think there is a software upgrade. It will not read WMA or other formats, MP3 only.

No way to turn off the ABS as I know it, but I think you will find with track pads and all that things are fine. Better a bit of ABS than flat spotted tires. It's a heavy car, so expect to eat pads and ultimately rotors. In my experience, you will find the suspension to be an even bigger upgrade for track work. The Stasis MS is night and day to stock on track. PM me if you are interested in a rebuilt set

Most of all, enjoy! It's such a great car.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Without pics it didn't happen.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4Brian
Without pics it didn't happen.
Brian now that's just funnier than ****, good one

IJPS4, first off I'm gonna say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Secondly, I echo RS4Brian's comment (I did that to him when he got his RS4 ), then... we want details! COlor, interior, mileage, mods, etc.

1) Do you mean in 1st or possibly 2nd gear? The tacho can't keep up with the motor in the low gears, I shift at an indicated 7K in 1st, VAG-COM says that the shift actually occurred at ~8K rpm.

2) the RNS-E system in our RS4's will allow a 4GB SD card max. That's what I use, allows ripping at 256kbps for some enhanced fidelity. The system is limited (if I recall) to 512 directory entries. So if you do the math, you might just as well rip at 256 anyway because there's a limit to how many over-compressed mp3's you can cram on a 4GB SD card. Sorry, HDSD cards need not apply on our RNS-E system.

3). ABS disable: I don't think so. You can disable 99% of the stability system by holding down the button for a longer time, but the ABS still is active IIRC.

ENJOY your new hot rod!

Last edited by ELEVENS; 08-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

JMSIV do you still have the Stasis MS for sale? If so I'll PM you about details. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
1) Do you mean in 1st or possibly 2nd gear? The tacho can't keep up with the motor in the low gears, I shift at an indicated 7K in 1st, VAG-COM says that the shift actually occurred at ~8K rpm.
Elevens, as JMSIV said, I think he is just hitting the 7000 rpm max when the engine is cold.

JPS4, you cannot exceed 7000 rpm until the engine warms up above 120F.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info guys. I love the car... I've wanted one since I first saw it on Top Gear in like '05.

I have noticed the message that says "max rpm 7000" when I first start the car. It dissapears when the oil temp rises as you all mentioned... but even after the temp is up in the 200's I hit the limiter @ 7K somtimes. I haven't noticed if it only occurs in the lower gears but that is a brillian conjecture. I will test that tonight when I get off work.

As far as the MP3, I have 2 gig cards in the slots... it took some trial and error to get the system to recognize them. It seems like it wouldnt recognize them if there was over 1gig of MP3's on the 2gig card... as soon as i deleted some down to about 8-900 mb they are recognized. They are all MP3 format @ 128 Kbps bit rate. I wonder if it matters how many subdirectories there are... I have about 22 folders organizing the tracks based on CD of origin. I will play around with the formatting but it's kind of low on the priority list.

This morning I had some QTP electronic exhaust cutouts installed. http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php I can dump the exhaust before the mufflers or route it through them with the flip of a switch. What a mean sounding
V8 when it's uncorked. The previous owner had installed a miltek catback system and deleted the resonators already. I suspect aftermarket suspension had been installed because the ride hight seems lower than stock and it's pretty stiff. Next time its in the shop I'll get confirmation on that because they will probably inspect the suspension for the DRC recall. Another cool thing I discovered is the k40 calibre wireless radar detector. It comes with a remote control and there are now wires visible anywhere, there are 2 blue leds that are mounted right at the top of the steering column below the instrument cluster. Looks clean... almost not noticeable. http://www.k40.com/calibre-pages-26.php It works pretty well but didn't save me from ticket I got in Nebraska on highway 80 right after I bought it driving home from Chicago. The trooper was using a laser... Apparently K40 makes a laser defuser that can be integrated into the radar system. Might be a future investment.

One more question, is the timing chain or belt driven??

It's an 07 with 72k miles. Dark blue... i'm not sure what the official color name is. I picked it up for 33!! Seemed like a good deal. There were two accidents on the Carfax but both were cosmetic and repaired. I had a buyers inspection at a factory audi dealership and mechanically it checked out.

Here are some pics as you requested.
Attached Images      
Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What a beaut! Let's hear the story with that second last pic... ;-)
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

STUNNING! And yes, that car has most definitely been lowered. The cams are chain-driven. You can study up on your new baby in great detail here:

http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/RS4V8-StudyGuide.pdf
Old 08-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Someone on this forum was just asking for pics of that color combo too.

33k is certainly the lowest I've seen one go for.

That thing must have coilovers to be running that low which is a + for you.

Congrats and enjoy the car!

Quick Reply: New RS4 owner and new member to Forum