RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New S4 vs. Used RS4

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S4 vs. Used RS4

I am looking to get a car but I can't decide between these two. I put a deposit down on a 2008 S4 but everytime I see an RS4 I can't help but want one. Problem is I can't fork over the extra 15K+ to get a new one so it boils down to a slightly used (under 5K) RS4 or a 2008 S4. I need the car to be drivable in snow ( with snow tires) and be a good daily driver. How are the used RS4s? Experiencing any problems/issues? Also, it's been a while since I was in a manual tranny car (the S4 is supposed to be a tip), how is the RS4 everyday (traffic, frequent speed bumps and bad roads)? Any other help would be appreciated.

-Note: I know they are pretty different cars. I know the obvious differences, I am looking for personal experience regarding these questions.

Thanks in advance,

James
Old 09-16-2007, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default RS4 and i will tell you why...

An RS4 is an absolutely different car than the S4. The similarities end at the displacement of the engines. The RS4 is an easy manual to drive imo it shifts smooth and is a great daily driver. The RS4's quattro is better so snow driving will be better. When it comes down to it there is nothing the S4 offers that would make it as good as the RS4. If you can settle for colors as Red or Yellow (Not as popular) you can get it with 600 miles for 63k. (Ebay) I have driven An S4 and have an RS4 and it cant compare. My A6 4.2 also could not compare in any aspect.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I do concur....if you can swing it.....
Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I do concur....if you can swing it.....but here is a sweet S4 with mods

Impressive numbers......the 1/4 was 13.2 Found a nice B6 for 28g on cars.com so for 1/2 the price of an RS4, you will get a car that may handle better than stock with the stasis....Almost as fast in the 1/4...will sound as mean as a stock RS4 with the Millteks....

but...it is a different car....if you drive the RS4, you will want it...so if costs are an issue, don't tempt yourself....<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/383490.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/383490.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 09-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I've had both, (05 S4) and now (07 RS4), there is no comparision

Also the amount you loose getting a new S4 compared to a used RS4 should be taken into account, just try and make sure you find one that has been taken care of.
DO NOT TEST DRIVE a RS4 unless you are willing to wait for the right one, there is something about the car that is so complete, it makes you smile inside and out. It really is that good.
I have not had any problems with my car and I live in Vancouver, lots of traffic but I try to avoid the rush hour which I would do if I had a automatic also, it is an excellent daily driver and the gearing/clutch/suspension are alot easier to live than the S4. Spend more time browsing the forum, this question has been asked before, good luck with your choice.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'll try to be honest here......

Firstly, as has been pointed out below, there is simply no comparison from an overall performance standpoint. The RS4 is a true supercar. It needs nothing. It is so perfect and so complete straight out of the box. Snow performance is excellent. I had no problem in the snow in New England last year with my Dunlop Winter Sport tires. The ride/handling balance is perfect and from this standpoint it does very nicely as a daily driver.

The only downside I see is that although the clutch and shifter are very easy to operate, the engine is so eager to rev that stop-and-go commuting takes a fair bit of clutch/shifter precision to accomplish smoothly. It can be done, but requires a bit of finesse. It is a tricky car to launch smoothly when you want to go slow. My other manual transmission car is a Nissan 350Z roadster. For comparison, it has 300hp and 274lb-ft torque and is far easier to launch smoothly when you want a slow and easy launch. With the RS4 I have at times found it easier to start off in second gear.

In the end, however, the RS4 is simply a spectacular machine and worth every penny. You'll love it.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The quattro system is the same as the S4.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:24 PM

Default key words: no comparison. that's why it's an RS model

i don't know about being worth every penny pad for it, but it is quite an upgrade from the S4. of that there should be no doubt.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:25 PM

Default I just bought a pre-owned 8500 mile RS4 and the car is freaking phenomenal

I've never seen a pre-owned RS4 until last Friday and it was the 2nd RS4 that I've seen in person. Never drove a V8 S4 for comparison.

Audi Certified Pre-owned w/100K warranty.

Now I see it every day.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I wouldnt buy a new S4 period...

It doesnt make financial sense to me. You can get the same powertrain out of a used S4 for 35 grand and it will be CPO audi warrantied until 100K miles. The S4 (and most audis) lose their value very fast. As for S4 versus RS4 that is completely up to the driver. If you spend you day driving the car on city streets...well, you get the idea. The S4 will be more than enough. If you enjoy tracking or driving schools and are familar with terms like late apex, rev matching, and heal toe shifting than the RS4 may be for you

Quick Reply: New S4 vs. Used RS4