RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

NEWS FLASH: Freeway "racing" proves NOTHING...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWS FLASH: Freeway "racing" proves NOTHING...

To my fellow Audi owners/lovers:

I love you all like brothers, really, but can we please all refrain from asserting that a speed contest on a freeway proves anything, except the stupidity of those engaging in such activity?

Safety considerations aside, the simple fact is that there is no way to come to any conclusions about whose car is faster from a 70mph roll.

"Competing" drivers often lift for traffic considerations, police spottings, whatever, and ultimately, it proves nothing, other than who lifted first.

Additionally, in order to really, really "pull" another driver significantly, try this on a deserted two lane stretch of road: line your RS4 up against, say an Evo 8, WRX or even a 350Z, and while rolling along at 70mph, stand on it simultaneously...watch how long it takes for one car to gain even a noticeable advantage over another.

Candidly, judging by the posts here, there are some drivers here that are very new to the performance car world. I hate to think of the ramifications caused by our beloved newbies driving over their head and the inevitable insurance ramifications to the balance of the RS4 community.

In short, if you're not a highly skilled, properly trained driver, you have no business driving in such a manner in the first place and if anyone thinks we're impressed by the alleged outcomes of such contests, I think you'd be surprised at how many of us frown on this activity. NOTE: Securing all Gold Cups in your GT3 licensing tests does not make you a qualified driver.

I'm not suggesting that we don't enjoy our cars...but do so safely...there's a time and a place for everything.

If you want to prove you're faster, drag race the clown from 0-70 on a deserted multi lane road or better yet, take it to a drag strip.

There would be nothing worse than having to post a memorial to a fellow RS4 member on these forums all because of an unchecked ego.

Be careful out there....these cars are too rare to be stuffing them into guardrails...and who really wants to see the pics all over the BMW forums anyway? ;-)
Old 02-16-2007, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default THE TRUTH !!!

Not to mention the "win " over the 997 C2S is bogus. The Porsche is a faster and quicker car. I am afraid that contest only measured silly and sillier.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nobody I know tracks their car and also street races, meaning street racers are unskilled ameteurs.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some are skilled, but that doesn't erase the danger/stupidity factor.

My comment referred to the title only by the way. I am not endorsing the text about where would be a "Good place" to street race.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hijack: Any progress on the CF engine cover?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM

Default "NOTE: Securing all Gold Cups in your GT3 licensing tests does not make you a qualified driver. "

Serious subject, but damn funny line...

It's funny, as I contemplate buying an RS4, I think I'm finally mature enough to own a car this fast and keep speed contests to track events.

I'm in my mid thirties, so admittedly it took me a while
Old 02-16-2007, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Not going to loose any tears over anyone here who is lost racing on the streets.

only for those they take out.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which begs the question......Is the RS4 and cars like it too fast for public roadways?...

Seriously......I love this car as much as anyone here. It is truly an intoxicating experience, but it is so easy to effortlessly and deceptively gain velocity, that you can very rapidly be moving much faster than anything around you, and more importantly, much faster than what most drivers on public roads would expect and be ready for. We must recognize that despite the plethora of fast cars out there, the majority of the US population still totes around in Civics, Camrys, Odesseys, F-150's, etc, etc. It is all too easy to get to 120mph and come into a pile of traffic, to accelerate from a stop sign to 60 or 70mph, only to encounter a "normal" car turning onto the road in front of you from an intersection having not even the foggiest notion that someone would be travelling that fast on that road.

In all honesty, I do think this car borders on being too fast for a public roadway. Exotics, Vipers, Z06 Vettes, the latest line of AMG Benz's with 600+ hp, are beginning to border on insane, and it is becoming increasing more common in the media to see fatal and near fatal crashes of inexperienced drivers in these super-cars. Has anyone seen the crash statistics for the Ferrari Enzo? The car is bordering on extinction.

Have respect for the RS4. Enjoy it, but please please please make sure the road, traffic and weather conditions allow it.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: NEWS FLASH: Freeway "racing" proves NOTHING...

Couldn't agree more. Save it for the track.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:24 PM

Default It's the equivalent

of a max benchpress at the gym. You might look good for a brief moment, but you will pay for it down the line with injuries (pulled back, headaches, etc.)

Quick Reply: NEWS FLASH: Freeway "racing" proves NOTHING...