RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Observation: B6 A4 1.8T loaner w/ bose versus B7 RS4 w/ bose

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Observation: B6 A4 1.8T loaner w/ bose versus B7 RS4 w/ bose

So right before I turned in my B6 A4 1.8T loaner, I pulled it up next to my just-serviced RS4 to do a back-to-back comparison of the stereo SQ. Both cars have Audi Bose and both cars have the same single large woofer on the rear shelf (looks like 8 or 10" I'm not sure). The only thing that seems different is that the RS4 has the Nav+ headunit versus the A4's symphony unit that lacks a color screen. Even after messing with many settings on both cars (bass, treble, etc) and trying the same CD in the player, same FM radio stations, (did not get to try sirius because the loaner car didn't have it), the A4 was significantly better both in the midrange and especially the bass department. As you turned up the volume in the A4, it gave a more powerful sound while the same action in the RS4 gave it a more "tinny" and artificial sound (don't know how else to describe it). The bass on the A4 was impressive when compared to the RS4 and it vibrated the A4's seats with the bass settings set on neutral while the bass on the RS4 was very anemic sounding and as I turned up the bass setting to compensate, it would sound too muddy and sounded like something was blown. Now for record, both systems being bose, suck in general when it comes to car audio but I was very shocked to observe that the RS4's bose sucks to an even greater degree than the "lesser" previous generation B6 A4 1.8T's. Actually, stepping back into the A4 from the RS4, makes the A4's stereo sound very good. I don't get it. I'm beginning to think my RS4's bose is broken or has a blown speaker but I doubt it. I remember playing with the stereo on one of the "streets of tomorrow" cars and it sounded equally as weak.

Perhaps there is a VAG code that can "de-Bose" the stereo to hopefully improve the RS4's level of audio suckage.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm thinking there may be a problem w/yours too.

Mine doesn't sound that bad. It's better than my old C5 A6 Bose, and comparable to the Logic 7 system in my 750i (w/Logic 7 set to 0).
Old 10-31-2006, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2nd...

I recently compared my RS4 stereo to the ELS surround systems in the new MDX and RDX, and other than home theater-esque bass response in both of them (ie: chest pounding capability,) the rest was pretty much equal. I find the RS4 system actually has excellent definition to the bass (as well as the mid and treble,) it just doesn't have the power to truly rattle the windows and make the license plate buzz. Even at high volumes, I find it to be an excellent sounding audio system.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My three week old post-----One interesting side note is that the new stereo sounds far....

better than the old one. I was informed that the old one was Panasonic and the new one is Blaupunkt. You can't tell the difference from the face plate but they assured me that all the new cars (2007 c)are shipping with the Blaupunkt.

You might have a Panasonic. The one I had before the Blaupunt had very poor sound quality.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That is odd, as the RNS-E unit has a more powerful amp than the Symphony II unit.

I upgraded earlier this year and took out my Bose Symphony II head unit and put in the RNS-E unit. The difference in sound was amazing! I no longer plan to upgrade the speakers as the sound quality is night and day.

Not sure what's going on with your unit.
Keep us updated though.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 3rd...

I find the RS 4 has the best sound of the 4 cars I have (including a B5). It has pretty decent detail and clarity for a factory setup. Perhaps something is wrong with yours?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I upgraded my symphony I in my B5 to the RNS-E, and the sound was just as you described

so much so that I had to add a small sub to give it a little bass. On the other hand, I upgraded the Symphony II in my allroad and the sound was just fine, I wouldn't say better but not worse, and no need for an amp or sub. I am not sure if the differences are in the head units or wiring, but from what you are telling me, there may faulty head units out there.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that does not make any sense. All RNS-E units are manufactured by Aisin.

They do put out new hardware and software versions. Apparently they recently moved the manufacturing plant. FWIW, Both my units that sound so different are the same hardware and software versions.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

4th... present your findings to your dealer asap
Old 10-31-2006, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What are you calling the "2007 c" cars ?

The 2007a cars had a different antenna and button trim on the dash than the 2007b cars.

Are there more differences that have been implemented ?

Quick Reply: Observation: B6 A4 1.8T loaner w/ bose versus B7 RS4 w/ bose