RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Ordering an RS4.... M3 vs. RS4

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering an RS4.... M3 vs. RS4

I called around and some dealers said that I can still order an RS4 sedan and some said it's no longer available to order. Does anyone know the true status?

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I was all set to order the new M3 when I ran into someone I knew who has an RS4. Got to drive it... impressed w/ steering feedback, turn-in and the shifter... nothing like my old Audi. Acceleration felt slow, however... could be because the car is so stable that it just doesn't feel fast??? I didn't push it too hard.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acceleration felt slower compared to what?....you are unclear........

slower than the new M3 or slower than your old Audi?....And what was your old Audi? The only Audi that is possibly faster is a highly tuned stage 3+ B5 S4. The RS4 really comes alive above 5000 rpm. Below that it is still fast but not freight-train fast like above 5000rpm. The real issue in the RS4 to M3 comparison comes down to control. At this power level, all-wheel drive allows you to use the power with a far greater safety margin and under a wider variety of rod and weather conditions than the M3.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Acceleration felt slower compared to what?....you are unclear........

Slower than what I was expecting. To be clear, I'm not saying it's slow. I hear you about 5000rpm. I wish I pushed it harder. Not for comparison but,I used to have a B5 A4 w/ 320whp... that was fast until the engine blew... twice. Hence, my desire for displacement over FI. Since I already have a dedicated track car, I just wanted something sporty/luxury for the road that I'll be excited about driving but without it tiring me out. My thinking was that on public roads, RS4 will feel superior to the M3 in terms of feel and feedback... emphasize public road. Do you think I'm on the right path for choosing the RS4 over M3? I currently have a BMW and I can live w/ it in the snow.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You're in the wrong forum if you want an

unbiased opinion on the RS4 vs M3 debate. RS4 production has officially ended, so you can't factory order something now but a few new ones might still be trickling over here from a previous order. The RS4 is fast without a doubt, faster than the previous gen M3, but slower than the newer one, in a straight line of course. RS4 = understeer, M3 = oversteer at the vehicle limit. I would read lots about each vehicle and decide which one suits your lifestyle best.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Re: LOL, thanks. What about RS4 availability? still possible to order?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default id think you would be happier with the M3 if you dont need an all round car. M3 is def more

balanced and "fun" if oversteer is your thing.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Best option would be to buy a used RS4 now and then

wait for M3 prices to come down in about a year to make that purchase.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:53 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

b5 stage III possibly faster? It IS faster. :P
Old 03-08-2008, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not necessarily....depends when you did the conversion.....

Stage 3 kits went on sale in summer of 2002. I bought the second kit that APR sold to the general public. Those kits were good for about 380-420 crank hp on pump gas. I had some custom software made by OCT and dyno'd 334whp on 93 octane. That was in 2003 and that was high power at that time. Most stage 3 conversions were dynoing 300-315whp. Since then there has been a lot of evolution and higher power has been attained. Anyway, sold my car to DxC in 2004. He's on the B5 forum quite a bit.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He said he was looking for a better street car in which case RS4 is superior......

Like I have always said, the M3 is closer to a race car than the RS4. On a dry race track, in the hands of the most skilled driver, you can extract more performance, better times, etc. But for fun on the street, 400+ hp is a lot to control and manage with a high degree of safety unless you have all-wheel drive. And even on the track, I'm willing to bet over 98% of enthusiasts will fare better in the RS4.

I went from a stage 3 B5 S4 to a supercharged Nissan 350z to my RS4. All with similar power, and similar to the new M3. Not even close in the level of control between RWD and AWD. In fact, I ended up removing the supercharger from the 350z. Now with only 300hp and killer brakes, suspension, and wheels/tires, it is overall a slower but far more enjoyable and stable vehicle. IMO, all wheel drive becomes a necessity for great control when you get over 370-380 hp in a front engine car.

Quick Reply: Ordering an RS4.... M3 vs. RS4