RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

OT- what do I need to do when buying an RS4 out of state to not get screwed

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT- what do I need to do when buying an RS4 out of state to not get screwed

I live in PA, and am about to buy an RS4 in CA. I want to ship it back. Do I have to register it here in CA, or just when I get back home? Do I need to keep the sellers plate on it?

Anyone that has done something similar, your advice will be appreciated
Old 02-29-2008, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default put a cork in yer ***?

if you're buying from a dealership, they should be able to take care of it. if you're buying from a private party, it should already have a valid registration...that's good enough to get you home. then register the car in PA when it gets home. definitely insure the car before you ship it back, though.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:52 PM

Default .

<ul><li><a href="http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/motorVehicleCenter/buying.shtml">http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/motorVehicleCenter/buying.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default First my RS was bought in Phoenix - and I live in CO

The dealer can arrange everything and your finance people will know how to handle things (mine was the credit union)

You pay tax in the state you bought the car.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Default I've done it twice...

If you buy the car out of state you pay sales tax in the state that you reside. Check and see what it is and you can tell the dealership what the tax is in your state and they'll add it to the contract in leu of their state tax. If they tell you something different they're feeding you a line of bull. The company that you contract to ship your vehicle should do an inspection of the vehicle when they recieve it from the dealership and you do one when you recieve the car to ensure that nothing was damaged in transit.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:42 PM

Default #1 thing to do is make sure you have insurance on it before it get's shipped.

I bought a few cars out of the state I live and I didn't pay any tax until I went to reregister the vehicle.

When I bought my VW Scirocco from a private owner in FL I left their plate on the car until I could get it tagged in NC. Then I sent it back to them.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Make sure the dealership titles the car in the correct state.

I bought a new GMC Sierra truck in Arizona last July and the dealer titled the truck as an Arizona title even though they knew it would be registered in Utah. It took until December before we could track down the correct title information so that Utah DMV would allow the truck to be registered in Utah. In the mean time I had to go to the DMV every 30 days to get a new temp tag, and then they made me get a safety and emissions inspection because it had been over 60 days since the truck was sold, even though I am first owner and the truck was titled off the MSO. Royal pain in the rear.

The dealer collected sales tax based on the sales tax info I provided them (each county has a different tax rate in Utah) and I had to show the sales agreement Utah DMV when we registered it so they could see how much sales tax had been collected. I could have not paid any sales tax and then just had to pay it when I registered the truck in Utah.

Make sure the CA dealer knows it will be registered in PA and have them title it correctly.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yup......done it that way before....
Old 03-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: OT- what do I need to do when buying an RS4 out of state to not get screwed

I bought my RS4 from a dealer in Florida and they took care of obtaining the Pa. registration for me. I had Fl. temp plates until the Pa. registration was processed.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:58 AM

Default As long as you have it shipped- no tax in CA.

If you drive it off the lot- then you pay tax in CA.

Quick Reply: OT- what do I need to do when buying an RS4 out of state to not get screwed