RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Paying MSRP for 2008 RS4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paying MSRP for 2008 RS4?

I think that I am going to take a pass on the RS4 at my local dealer, because they were unwilling to do anything other than $600 off after much discussion today. It just seems to me that this car is not rare enough to justify sticker price. Curious as to other recent experience with 2008 cars...? In speaking to some other dealers in the past, I had heard up to $1500 off. Definitely more convenient locally, but I am not sure if it is $1500 more convenient.

Separately, the dealer does not know why this particular Daytona Grey car showed up with no titanium pkg, but titanium pkg wheels only (???)... it looks a little weird to have the bright aluminum trim on everything else, but the grey titanium pkg wheels.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Are you trading in another car?

I bought mine November 2006 and the dealer was very stubborn about the discount off sticker. Seems like Audi may have limited the discount available. I was able to get $500 off the car, free winter floor mats and the latitude seemed to be in the trade. They gave me more for the trade so it wouldn't look like they discounted the RS4 price.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Its a 70k+ car...whats another 1000 bucks....something like 1.5%

If you want the car purchase it....I'd pay a grand anyday to drive a car I really wanted to drive over another that I saved a grand on.....

Check and see if you can get a preferred audi rate, or hit up your own bank....you'll easily save over a grand by getting even a % point lower on a four year loan.

still today, there is not another car out there I would buy for under a 80g. That will probably change in the next year...but for the last year, this has been an exceptional car.and a blast to drive..at 20k miles, no problems at all..
Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The selling price is a function of supply and demand along with your negotiation power

A price obtained by one person at one location and time and ofen only reported via the internet with no images of the contract posted up as proof, is not a reliable way to conduct your negotiations. If the dealers you spoke with gave you a written offer signed by the manager, then hold them to it. Otherwise it is just their way of making sure you go back to the dealer when ready to purchase.

Either the car is worth a certain price point to you, or it isn't. Doesn't matter what somebody else thinks it is worth, unless you are going to be selling it to them;-) You can wait to see if the price on new merchandise will fall - or you may find that with production wrapping up in the next few months, the average prices will stablize or even rise as inventory shrinks.

The slowest sale time for dealers is from Jan thru Mar. They try to balance this by carrying less inventory. But in the case of a car like the RS4, which is going to be rare and get rarer (new of course), they probably won't mind holding on to it. When shoppers come out in Spring, the dealers who hold out will have rare and desirable merchandise.

If you do obtain the car from a non-local dealer, you may find that perks such as service loaners will not be offered. Just depends on the relationship you may have started with the service dept. Additionally, depending on where the car is sourced and how you plan to take it home, you may end up paying tax in two states (the purchase state and the state in which you register the car), and then waiting to get a refund. Shipping a car can cost in the $300 to $1500 range and take several weeks.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/71095.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/71095.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Default keep looking

i got $2250 without any effort. do the "fax attack." fax every audi dealer in your area and tell them that whoever offers you the best price under MSRP will be your dealer. it always gives you the best deal.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default No offense, but...

to each their own for sure, so dont take this the wrong way.... but I have been able to build wealth by caring about $1k here or there.... the day $1k doesnt matter at all to me, then I guess I will be REALLY rich :-)

i passed on an allocation for a 2008 GT3 at MSRP... with only 106 being sold in the U.S., that price made sense.

but there are no less than 100+ new 2008 RS4s untitled on the Internet, so full MSRP just doesnt make as much sense..I want to make sure that I am getting the best deal that I can... having seen the invoice on these cars, the dealer will still be making a nice margin, even at $1.5k or so off sticker...

so it's not an issue of not getting an RS4 for $1k... I am going to get one for sure, just shopping for the best price I can
Old 11-23-2007, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default any chance that you are a dealer? :-)

just kidding.... you make some good points... maybe i just need to come around on my thinking about this car... there are like 200 of them on the Internet new/less than 5k miles... why would there be shortages/shrinkages/hype about no discounts...
Old 11-23-2007, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default this is more like it

i would be very happy with $1500k off MSRP... glad to hear that you got $2250... i think that i will shop some more...i am in absolutely no hurry...
Old 11-23-2007, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default That approach only works sometimes. We would just throw those in the trash. No effort

or commitment required by customer, yet the dealer needs to double check their car and make a serious offer, knowing the customer is just going to take that number and try and bludgeon another dealer into offering less. If the dealer has no problem selling inventory, they won't bother.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I used to sell them. Got into selling cars when I got tired of BS when shopping.

That means I've sat on both sides of the table and seen a lot

A dealer favourite is called the "would'ja could'ja". Basically, "IF I would discount this car today, could we make a deal?" They just want to see how serious you are. On the other hand, customers often want to look like tough negotiators, and thus claim to have paid less than they really did, after the fact. That is why I encourage people to delete a few personal items from a contract and post it up for confirmation.

I think the first thing you want to decide is new or used, since interest rates if you are financing, may very well be different. Obviously if you plan to keep the car a while, the warranty will be shorter or you will need to purchase an extended warranty. Finally decide exactly what colours and options you want. You need to decide if those are more important than a few hundred dollars, as that may be what separates you from a good deal but not so memorable car, and from a car that is exactly what you want.

Quick Reply: Paying MSRP for 2008 RS4?