RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Questons to those that made the switch from B6/B7 S4 to RS4...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questons to those that made the switch from B6/B7 S4 to RS4...

Im starting to look into the RS4 more and more now and Im getting this crave to go to the dealer and check it out in person. I love how the RS4 is just simply amazing from the factory. I dont think I will be modding it if I ever do get one... ok prolly just suspension work.

well here are my questions:
1)Is the RS4 engine louder/raspier or just the same sound as the 4.2L V8 on the B6/B7 S4? I had the B5S4 before moving the the B6S4 and notice that the V6 engine is much more quieter than the V8. The engine sound seems to come into the cabin more on the B6 than the B5. Im just wondering how's does the 4.2FSI differ from the normal 4.2L in terms of sound in the cabin.

2)How does the gas mileage on the new RS4? Im asking on a daily driving situation. I live in NYC and I usually average around 12-14mpg on my B6 and never really got over 18mpg on mix driving. Is the manual trans gearing different on the RS4?

3)In relation to question 2, did they increase the size of the fuel tank on the RS4? I ask this question because I have trouble getting past 275-285 miles on a tank with all highway driving.

Feel free to also add what you guy like/dislike(prolly 0-none : P) about the RS4 compare the the previous S4.

Thanks in advance with your comments.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

good questions
Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Questons to those that made the switch from B6/B7 S4 to RS4...

I think the RS 4 engine gets to speed faster and sounds a bit higher pitched in a way. B5 sounds like zero to me compared to the V8s. I drive a B5 S4 in the Winter here while the RS 4 sits. I don't think the sound levels are higher inside for the RS 4 than the V8 S4.

The gas mileage on the RS 4 i think is worse than the S4. Highway can be quite good however.

If you drive the RS 4 you will buy it. The chassis setup and that motor will make you buy it. It's in another league. -Pete
Old 02-02-2007, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some answers...

1a) With the S button off it sounds a lot like a stock B6 S4, but slightly louder and deeper. Cabin nose is also just slightly louder.
1b) With the S button on it sounds like a resonated Miltek. Cabin noise is louder, but not annoying.
However, the higher you get in the rpm range the louder it will get. That extra 1000 rpm really screams :-)

2) Gas mileage is about the same when comparing a stock B6/B7 S4 to a RS4. However, a stock RS4 get's better gas mileage then my modded (exhaust, dp's, chip, intake) S4. I do basically all city driving and get around 200 miles to the tank. My modded S4 got 180 with the same driving.

3) I beleive the fuel tank is the same size, but I think it gets better highway mileage then my S4. According to the sticker it the same highway mileage for both cars, so they should be the same. I remember getting over 300 miles to the tank on my S4 when driving to Virginia. I can't remember the gas mileage driving the RS4 from Florida.

Nothing to dislike compared to the S4, it does everything better and doesn't make me regret the decision or price one bit.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not to confuse you but....

I agree on cabin and outside noise with Fluff.
I get a little better in town and a lot better on highway mileage with my RS4. (B5 S4 was the best with B6 S4 being worst MPG)
I think the gas tank is a bit smaller in the RS4, maybe 1/2 gallon, than in the B6 S4. But I get better range. Note highway mileage is with cruise control on. If you just "drive" it you will do much worse as it's hard to keep your foot out of the throttle.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Questons to those that made the switch from B6/B7 S4 to RS4...

I love my car, the sound, the acceleration, the ride. Gas mileage for me averages around 14 to 15. I dont really care about that due to the fun factor.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for everyone's response. The car is great as it is. Im used to it having driven the B6S4

before.

I already know most of things about the car, those are just a few things that I remember when owning the B6.

The gas consumption is a given.. gotta pay to play : )

I just want to know how much of a different besst the RS4 is compare to the S4. Just as someone mentioned, Im afraid to go to the dealer and look because I will probably end up getting one.

Keep the comments coming
Thanks again you guys are great.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Let me put it this way.....

When I ran against Mindtrip's S4 (Miltek DP's, Motorklasse exhaust, Strat Hyperflow, OCT chip) I basically destroyed him. His S4 didn't hang with the RS4 at all. Where the S4 has to shift, the RS4 has that extra 1000 rpm and just jumps ahead.

That alone made Mindtrip want a RS4.

Honeslty I had no idea the RS4 was that much faster , it defenitly doesn't feel that way.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't drive it ... lest you become tempted to move to the dark side.

The RS4 has probably one of the highest drive/buy conversion rates of any car. Once you drive an RS4, everything else is irrelevant.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default answers

sound is louder in the cabin with S no doubt but also deeper and not at all annoying.
Gas mileage better than B7 S4 I got 280 on full tank and with RS4 got 320 the other day all highway 80-100 MPH but if u step on it good luck 180-200 max.
gas tank is smaller by half a gal. or so.
If u try it u'll get one, I test drove as a goof while getting short shifterr put on S4 and 2 weeks later I had the car just could'nt sleep.

Quick Reply: Questons to those that made the switch from B6/B7 S4 to RS4...