RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Rebuilt motor... more problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt motor... more problems...

Thats a lot of smoke I feel... what do you all think....

http://youtu.be/HxzQRdvKxaE
Old 03-31-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it smoke or steam? Smoke usually hands around and is blue. The video looks like steam, as it dissipates and disappears.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Is it smoke or steam? Smoke usually hands around and is blue. The video looks like steam, as it dissipates and disappears.

That is blue stinky smoke... yes after the revs stabilize it is steam... but upon starting it is thick smoke that lingers... let me get you another angle... check this out...

http://youtu.be/cmTuhx5Yjg0

that is smoke...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sub1427
That is blue stinky smoke... yes after the revs stabilize it is steam... but upon starting it is thick smoke that lingers... let me get you another angle... check this out...
that is smoke...
Who did the rebuild and what exactly was repaired?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Who did the rebuild and what exactly was repaired?

Danbury Audi in CT. Tore the whole engine apart, carbon clean, re-ringed all the pistons, reassembled.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Danbury Audi in CT. Tore the whole engine apart, carbon clean, re-ringed all the pistons, reassembled.
I assume it wasn't doing this before? They re-ringed the engine for oil consumption?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I assume it wasn't doing this before? They re-ringed the engine for oil consumption?
The whole reason it got re-ringed was because it was smoking...and yes re-ringed it because of consumption problems... it smokes more then before now...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The whole reason it got re-ringed was because it was smoking...and yes re-ringed it because of consumption problems... it smokes more then before now...
Did it have this issue for a while before the repairs? If so, the exhaust can have oil in it and takes forever to burn off in some cases. Either way, the dealer needs to re-examine the repairs on this engine. In most cases, the rings are replaced and the valve stems seals also, IF no wear or damage is found in the engine when taken apart. Other issue could be a broken piston ring when it was being reassembled. I would contact the dealership and let them know ASAP.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did it have this issue for a while before the repairs? If so, the exhaust can have oil in it and takes forever to burn off in some cases. Either way, the dealer needs to re-examine the repairs on this engine. In most cases, the rings are replaced and the valve stems seals also, IF no wear or damage is found in the engine when taken apart. Other issue could be a broken piston ring when it was being reassembled. I would contact the dealership and let them know ASAP.
Yes they are aware of whats going on... I am upset because originally was told 12 hours of labor and I would be getting a new block.... that changed to a re-ring job (60 hours of labor later) and I'm out $4k for a car you can't start in front of people without looking like a schlub.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes they are aware of whats going on... I am upset because originally was told 12 hours of labor and I would be getting a new block.... that changed to a re-ring job (60 hours of labor later) and I'm out $4k for a car you can't start in front of people without looking like a schlub.
How much have you driven it since the repairs?

Quick Reply: Rebuilt motor... more problems...