RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Request for Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Request for Oil Analysis

Yeah, it's me again ... and I'm not letting this oil thing die.

I am putting together a database of oil analysis results for the RS4. At this point ELEVENS and CanyonRS4 (formerly bpesch) have provided results. If anyone else has had an oil analysis done, by Dyson or Blackstone, would you be able to post it on the forum, or send it to me by email, and I'll enter it into the database? For those who have Dyson analysis, the comments that he provides are considered proprietary. I will maintain confidentiality and not copy that information.

If you haven't had an analysis, I would encourage doing it. We are gaining valuable data on this engine. Besides learning about fuel dilution and it's impact on oil life and wear, we've learned a few new things by looking at the data.

First, for those who have expressed interest in running Amsoil Euro 5W40. This stuff kicks ***, based on the two analysis that CanyonRS4 has done.

Second, comparing data for three cars now, the wear patterns are becoming evident. During break-in, wear is extremely high, as would be expected. By 5K miles, cylinder wall/ring wear rate has dropped down by better than 2:1. By 8K miles cylinder wear rate has dropped by 3:1 and has begun to stabilize. This tells us that there's a significant power increase between break-in and 5K miles, with more to come. Looking at the limited data, it would be fair to say that this engine does not achieve max power until 10K to 15K miles.

Third, fuel dilution shows in 2 out of the 3 analysis results so far. Elevens result may be an anomoly at Blackstone Labs, or it could be a potential engine or ECU design change, since he has a 2007-b series car, whereas CanyonRS4 and myself have 2007-a cars.

Elevens, if your read this, send me an email, I'd like to discuss this with you.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Request for Oil Analysis

Let me guess, Scott, you're planning on going to Amsoil soon. Is that a fair assumption?

Anyway, after all these years, and now some valuable reassurance in the form of oil analysis provided by you, I am now considering Amsoil for the first time. Why? Mainly because I don't know what's going on with so many of these synthetics not being true synthetics anymore, but hydrocracked.

When any oil brand can still state "Full Synthetic" on the label, and save money thru dino based, then who's to really say at any given time that you're really getting a true synthetic anymore? That bothers me, and has me searching out the real stuff for future.

Looks like it's gonna be Mobil 1 or Amsoil for me. I started using Mobil 1 18 years ago in my sport bikes(86 Honda VFR 750, 89 Suzuki GSX-R 750, & 93 Honda CBR900RR). I had complete confidence in the synthetic oil I was using then with 11k to 13k redlines(the Honda VFR had the highest redline due to its gear driven cam design). Now? It's a crap shoot.

Anyway, if I owned an RS4 instead of an S4, I would contribute to your study. Best of luck getting that underway!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Change to Amsoil? Maybe.

With enough data, Terry can make some good recommendations on oil for this engine. He has good things to say about the Amsoil Euro 5W40 formulation, and I would not hesitate to recommend using it. It's a low SAPS oil and can probably go to between 5K and 7.5K miles before it's add pack is depleted in the RS4. If your engine doesn't have fuel dilution, it should be able to handle 10K OCI's easily. Personally, I'd still do a change at 5 to 7.5K anyway.

But, it still may not be the oil I end up with. I've placed my trust in Terry's judgement so far, and I've been pleased. I've given him carte blanche to recommend whatever he thinks is best.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Oil Analysis

This would be MOST interesting to see. I have done a fair bit of online browsing looking at various results for different motor oils and based on the data out there I was lead to Amsoil products and since then have used them exclusively in my 02 TTQR and now that I am coming up on 5k oil change for my RS4 have been wondering about that too. Even with the TT under warranty I always supplied my own oil and used the appropriate weight that was VW502 approved and have often wondered the limitations of that spec. Where can I submit samples to have the UOA done?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Oil Analysis

It's hard to get a true idea of the Amsoil because almost all online queries wind up an Amsoil ad or sponsored site.

I really would like to see truly independant info on Amsoil, but no one out there seems to care but Amsoil themselves.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where I recommend for oil analysis.

Terry Dyson is the best. $50 gives you a premium analysis and expert interpretation. Tell him that you'd like him to recommend an oil for your change, or comment on Amsoil, and he will.

If we all use the same lab, then the results can be directly compared. If you do decide to use Amsoil Euro, I'd also recommend a VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis) of the oil, so that you have a baseline record of what the oil looks like before it goes into the engine. I've done that so far for Elf Excellium LDX 5W40 and Motul 8100 E-tech 0W40.<ul><li><a href="http://www.dysonanalysis.com/">http://www.dysonanalysis.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 12-16-2006, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Been trying to get it done....

RI, I've been trying since 1500 to get it done, but have had a difficult time getting back into the dealer..My travels, my work, their schedule etc.....I'm now at 1800, and have been driving the car less as I really want th exchange out that oil. I'll get it tested and a sample out to you..

-S
Old 12-16-2006, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Where I recommend for oil analysis.

Do you happen to know if Terry Dyson is familiar with Amsoil over a period of time? What I mean is can he comment on Amsoil beyond recent tests?

The Amsoil Euro blend...do you feel it's a matter of them using an additive pkg to mirror 502 requirements or just that they have come out with a 5w-40 and call it a Euro blend for that reason?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:32 AM

Default This was what Amsoil said to that question

I had contacted Amsoil to ask if the formulation was approved, they did not submit for approval to VW but they stated that the AFL Euro formulation met all the specifications of VW 502.00

"Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

We meet all the requirements for VW 502 specifications and its use will not void the warranty.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Darryn Wallace
Technical Service Department
AMSOIL, Inc."

While they have not submitted for manufacturer blessings the formulation was manufactured to meet the VW specifications.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:57 AM

Default I can agree with that...

it is the info I was looking for. Thanks!