RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Resonated vs. Non-resonated

Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonated vs. Non-resonated

I had the Milltek non-resonated, valved cat-back installed today.

I don't know what to think.

This is my 3rd Audi with a Milltek exhaust. The first was the B5 S4 with the resonated catback. It was chipped and the increased boost and so forth made the car sound amazing.

The second was the B6 S4, downpipes, resonated catback. I still love that sound.

My thoughts were with the RS was to have a valved system that would be the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, I can't tell what those worlds are because one of the valves will not shut. Nevertheless, I can certainly tell what the non-valved, non-resonated RS4 catback sounds like.

I must say I love the sound of the B6 setup. This non-resonated system for the RS, I am not so sure of. The idle sound is a constant drone, outside the car and within. Compare that to the B6, with the downpipes - no drone at all. There, the idle sounds awesome with the fast, deep blub blub blub, vs. a constant, not as deep drone from this $3k catback. So far, this exhaust at idle cheapens this car very much, imo. It's a sound at idle that I would expect on a Corvette or Mustang or some other type car. At wide open, it's another story. The sound is amazing and can only be described as a weird howl, with plenty of burps and gurgles, when shifting. A very nice sound under load.

I only hope this valve issue will be resolved soon so that I can figure out just what in the hell I just dropped three grand on. I might feel different if I could know what the sound would be with the valves closed, but I cannot at this time. At this point, I have all of my neighbors wondering what in the hell I did to my new car. And I am left with a very disappointing sound at idle. It is NOT what is deserved of a car like this. It is nothing less than a very loud drone. I walked halfway down my street with the car at idle and it just simply sounded like an over excited idle. It almost makes it sound like it is idling at well over 1000, when it isn't. Again, my wife pulls up in the B6, and there's the deep, slow, blub blub blub sound at idle.

Is this because of a lack of resonator? If so, then screw this non-resonated crap, because this thing sounds horrible at idle, imo.

This isn't an issue of being loud. This is an issue of how the thing sounds.

At this point I can say I'm very disappointed in how this thing sounds. I guess I need to buy the resonators, but I can't even figure that out until I get this valve issue resolved.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Installing Milltek in a few weeks....

I'm going with downpipes, non-res, non-valved. I have heard this set-up and it sounds great at idle and at WOT, IMO. Hopefully when the valve is fixed it will correct your idle issue. If not, maybe consider intalling the dp's as well.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the writeup

I've been pondering exhaust, and resonated vs. non-resonated.

I too had a Milltek on my B5 (with AWE dp's), and a resonated Milltek on my B6.

I think that I'd probably want to stick with resonated on the RS4 also.

Be nice to hear a Milltek next to a GMG, but get-togethers aren't like the crazy days in the Bay Area during the dotcom boom. (We had 24 S4's at one outing, out of 50 audis, and there's always be at leat 10 S4's at any outing).
Old 04-03-2008, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the resonated setup with no drone at idle. just a little boomy coming off idle to bout 2500,

Sounds very nice and not american at all. I think the best sounding combo for the Milltek is down pipes with a resonated exhaust... My $.02
Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the magnaflow, same problem but gone with resonators.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

it need d/pipes full best sound
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That sucks man. I might...

swap to the GMG, though I am not a huge fan of the tips. I think the resonators on this car for some reason are necessary. I can tell you with the Tubi they stay in place and there is plenty of sound without the drone. I'd tell you to get the Tubi for sure except the price; I am now convinced it is the best sounding piece.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The only issue I really have is the idle and below 2k thereabouts sound

It really screams and gurgles, which I like. I may have to go with the resonators, but can't figure that out until I get this valve fixed. It really makes me wish I would have just ponied up a couple more bones for the Tubi.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have the same setup, with the Milltek DP though...

I am finding the low rpm drone too much also. Above around 2200rpm it sounds pretty good, but at idle and starting from first gear, quite annoying. It's a good way to start a headache

First option is to get the Milltek resonators and install in the middle section, second is to buy the RS4 OEM centre muffler and get that custom installed. The OEM centre muffler is a bit cheaper than both milltek centre mufflers which are $700 for the pair.
I'm having my exhaust guy check it out and give me his opinion.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had the shop cut the OEM exhaust for storage purposes

He marked it about 5 times on each pipe and simply cut the pipes after the center resonator. He can easily weld it back together. I could use that OEM resonator to do what you're thinkg of, but then I'd lose the H pipe, if that provides any uniqueness (is this a word?) to the sound.

I'll probably end up with the resonators.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resonated vs. Non-resonated