RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Review of Stasis / Ohlin suspension on B7 RS4

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of Stasis / Ohlin suspension on B7 RS4

So yesterday, my car got the Ohlins, and I've been having fun since yesterday going on twisties through Napa and surrounding areas.

First thing of note: WAY better than OEM for hard driving. No delays from DRC, less body roll, no nose diving, and I can finally throttle out of corners to counteract understeer! Whee this is fun!

I should note, my other car is a heavily modded G35 with a Clutch type LSD, and Koni's on it, and this Olin kit is better than that too (although, I still miss the Clutch type LSD... hopefully we'll find one for the RS4...).

Around town, the ride is firm, but handles potholes /bad concrete pretty well. It is absolutely not as soft and cushy as the stock Audi with DRC is, but the pros far outweigh the cons for a car like this!

Stasis also did a great job of hiding the canisters and mounting them solidly.

So in the end, it made a fun car, more fun
Now I just need a track or empty airport runway to figure out where the limits are, it's much harder to tell than with RWD.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Enjoy... I have that suspension on my Allroad, beautiful stuff!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well wait until you do the TorSen mod and get that LSD, then you're going to have a ride from Heaven
Old 09-02-2006, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sounds great!

May I suggest the <a href="http://www.reno-fernleyraceway.com/">Reno-Fernley Raceway</a>.

Also, do you want me to add any of your mods to the RS4 VIN list?
Old 09-02-2006, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default hey I'm going to be in SF and visiting napa/sonoma wine country in 2 weeks....

if you have the time, maybe we can hook up and I can get a ride so I can feel the ohlins set up in person? If it's not too much trouble that is.... also assuming if the gf will even let me play with cars during our vacation. That might be pushing it

I'm on the fence about this setup because I know for a fact the roads in napa/sonoma and cali in general are much nicer than the broken pavement and pothole-ridden roads here in Chicago where I live. Not sure if it will be as tolerable in my case and there's only one way to find out.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default would he really need to do the torsen mod?

IIRC the new 40/60 diff can transfer up to 15/85 to the rear.

Dave
Old 09-02-2006, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My bad you are correct the new S4s/RS4s have the new diff so not required, but the LSD ...

When it becomes available makes a big difference.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sure larry, email me your trip plans... I actually live in Silly Valley, Stasis is near napa...
Old 09-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Former Vendor

Default that's awesome.

the DRC may have some benefits but I know damn well that ohlins setup is going to be better than it simply because it's higher end stuff. Haven't some RS6 owners done the same thing?

As far as the LSD, why can't you use the one that stasis puts in the B5? Since the B7 RS4 already has the better 40/60 f/r torsen in it, all you need is the LSD to complete it! Granted it is a serviceable part but a small price to pay for better hookup on turn exit.

I drove JoshD's B5 S4 extensively at PIR with ohlins, an RS4 center diff and a rear LSD, and it was GREAT! I could really feel it exiting the chicane, the car even had a slight bit of power on oversteer, fun!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Former Vendor

Default you think Audi would just pony up and put it in the car from the factory.

How often does it need to be repacked?

Quick Reply: Review of Stasis / Ohlin suspension on B7 RS4