RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 75K Service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 75K Service?

I just picked up my first 2008 RS4 and was wondering if anyone knows what exactly needs to be done for the 75k service (plugs, air filter, cabin filter, rear diff fluid, manuel gear fluid - lifetime?). I don't take it to Audi because more things are broken then fixed when I get the car back.

I drove it and according to my *** dyno I immediately noticed that this is not what an RS4 should feel like (my wife's B8 S4 pulls harder). Sure enough after opening the intake manifold I was right. If a car had emphysema then this is what it would look like. One set was cleaned on Monday 7 more to go.
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Emphysema - good one!

75K is a big one. See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RS4_Maintenance.pdf (158.0 KB, 280 views)
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audicted2quattro
I just picked up my first 2008 RS4 and was wondering if anyone knows what exactly needs to be done for the 75k service (plugs, air filter, cabin filter, rear diff fluid, manuel gear fluid - lifetime?). I don't take it to Audi because more things are broken then fixed when I get the car back.

I drove it and according to my *** dyno I immediately noticed that this is not what an RS4 should feel like (my wife's B8 S4 pulls harder). Sure enough after opening the intake manifold I was right. If a car had emphysema then this is what it would look like. One set was cleaned on Monday 7 more to go.
you did a great job cleaning that first one better than most shops I have seen post up pics.

what is your technique?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by swesna
you did a great job cleaning that first one better than most shops I have seen post up pics.

what is your technique?
2nd
Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Agreed that is extremely clean. Personally I don't believe it's worth the extra effort to go that clean in light of the demise that's inevitable in only a few hundred miles. This is one job where "good enough" works pretty good.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Agreed that is extremely clean. Personally I don't believe it's worth the extra effort to go that clean in light of the demise that's inevitable in only a few hundred miles. This is one job where "good enough" works pretty good.
I can agree with this. But it is nice to see how clean he has the valves. Depending on his technique maybe it is not much more effort.

I know once I get mine cleaned I will start using a BG apparatus since that seems to have soften the carbon on the valves at least making it much easier for subsequent cleanings. It seems to be worth a shot especially for those doing the cleaning themselves plus soft carbon build up might hopefully be safer for the engine.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm just not sold on frequent BG apparatus cleanings. The solvents used are, well, very good solvents! But they don't burn very well either. I worry that they wash the lubrication from the cylinder walls, piston skirts and rings at the precise time those parts need it the most - when we're flushing hard bits of carbon crap off the intake ports, valves, piston top, and combustion chamber head.

This is all unproven theory of course, but I'm not willing to chance it just for the sake of making CB cleaning a little bit easier. Do the clean every 15K miles and it's really not too bad. Wait until 30K+ miles and you'll have your hands full and your back will ache!

Last edited by ELEVENS; 07-05-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I'm just not sold on frequent BG apparatus cleanings. The solvents used are, well, very good solvents! But they don't burn very well either. I worry that they wash the lubrication from the cylinder walls, piston skirts and rings at the precise time those parts need it the most - when we're flushing hard bits of carbon crap off the intake ports, valves, piston top, and combustion chamber head.

This is all unproven theory of course, but I'm not willing to chance it just for the sake of making CB cleaning a little bit easier. Do the clean every 15K miles and it's really not too bad. Wait until 30K+ miles and you'll have your hands full and your back will ache!
I am currently at 20.3K on my car but will try and see if Audi will do the CC. I have already talked with the service department at a local dealership and they seem somewhat willing to go that route. Better yet they will install my JHM intake spacers and PnP intake manifold after they finish the CC.

I was going to do all of this myself but figured if I can get them to do it for free go that route. If not, I will be taking it apart in the Fall...just too hot out to do this now.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like the best approach. I wish my stealer would have done a CC. I did end up contacting Audi NA and they just gave me the run around with a side of BS and a topping of boiler-plate blah blah.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info Elevens!

So I used 3 products: Seafoam, Safey Clean and 2+2. I also used 2 tooth brushes one that was trimmed on one side of the head so it reaches really close to the base of the valve and the other one that was not modified to clean the walls and stem.
I found that the 2+2 works the best but you have to be careful not to let it run because it will destroy rubber o-rings and gaskets. I am gonna have to replace all the o-rings for the injectors just to be on the safe side.
I let the Seafoam soak over night on the closed valves this helps to loosen it up greatly. Then I used the brushes to loosen it up into a thick "milk shake" like consistency with the help of 2+2. Finally, the rubber bulb was used to suction out all the gunk but it is a bit viscous at times so I used a bit of 2+2 to make it less viscous.

I don't know how I'm gonna clean the intake manifold do you guys have any experience with that?
Did anyone hear any good things about any water/methanol kits to help reduce this process or any other methods to slow the process down?
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: RS4 75K Service?