RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 Avant in US

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Avant in US

Hey all.

This is my first post here. From what I have read, it is unlikely the wagon version of the RS4 will make it to the states. Is it possible to buy the Euro version through a factory delivery program?

Thanks, in advance.

-- M
Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sure you could buy it and import one...

It will cost you around $150k - $180k plus 2 years or so.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Sure you could buy it and import one...

Why the mark-up and wait?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:33 PM

Default You have to pay for the shipping, federalization, and taxes on the car.

This will take many years to complete as this is a new model and you would have to change many of the components (bumpers, emissions, lights, etc...) on the car to meet the federal regualtion for Highway and Safety. This would take lots of time & $$$$ but it could be done. It was done with a couple of B5 RS4's
Old 08-31-2006, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Biggest cost is the car itself...

With all the opions we get as standard on a RoW car with the Premium Pkg options, comes out to just shy of $109k not including VAT.

The federalization process is not cheap either and takes a long time to do. Just ask the B5 RS4 owners here in the states. Their bills for importing were in the $40 - 60k price range
Old 08-31-2006, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Factory delivery programs for Americans are for US spec cars only...

Current programs for MB, BMW, Volvo, Porsche and possible future program for Audi and VW are for US spec cars purchased through a US dealer subject to state sales taxes; all the buyer is doing is intercepting the ordered car at the factory, then dropping it back off for its regularly scheduled shipment to the US dealer. Temporary European registration and shipping are included in the programs.

Buying a European spec car from a European dealer (or used from a Europoean individual) is an entirely different process, and importing it to the US requires that it meet US specs, which as indicated by others is an expensive and time consuming process dealing with US DOT and EPA red tape...especially if you are the first to attempt it with a particular model.

It should be easier to make comply than the B5 RS4, since all of the emissions and most of the body parts are readily available. If you do a search on this forum, I provided a link to a company specializing in this in another post on the subject.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Factory delivery programs for Americans are for US spec cars only...

Alan --

Thanks for your note. What prompted this was a friend of mine informing me (incorrectly?) that I could order a BMW 330 wagon (sorry...touring) on Euro delivery, even though that engine does not make it into the US spec version.

Your comments on the RS4 make sense considering the difference in how the US and Euro vehicles are specd out. I, for one, have no interest in paying $100K for a wagon (sorry...avant) or any of the extra import costs.

But, it would be nice if BMW and Audi considered that yanks are slowly coming around to thinking about energy consumption and true utility, and it seems to me that a car like the RS4 Avant would find a much richer market than that which has received the MB E55 wagon (sorry...estate) or awaits the M5 wagon.

Just my $0.02.

-- M
Old 09-01-2006, 08:42 AM

Default Re: You have to pay for the shipping, federalization, and taxes on the car.

Always wondered how this was done. I remember seeing one of those cute BMW roadsters with no doors in Miami though the vehicle was never imported to the US. Guess there is no limit to how much some people are willing to spend to have what they want.

-- M
Old 09-01-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Biggest cost is the car itself...

Der --

Thanks for the note and the info. I hate quitting, especially as I was really pumped up to find my ideal ride.

-- M

P.S. I have a 996 Targa now, love it, but it's lack of utility gets old at many points.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Unfortunately your buddy is incorrect...

...US spec vehicles only through Euro Delivery or Diplomat sales. No way to register a Euro spec car here without spending the time and money. And even if you do, you won't have a warranty, and you will have difficulty with repair and insurance.

Having been an S4 Avant owner, I agree that it would be great if the European car makers brought all of the hot rod (and even the mildly hot, like the 330i) wagons over...but Americans just don't buy them...otherwise you can bet they would.

Not needing AWD, I'm partial to the C55 AMG Estate myself (and look forward to the upcoming C63)...but you and I represent a very, very small part of the American car buying public.

Quick Reply: RS4 Avant in US