RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 doesn't run smoothly when cold :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 doesn't run smoothly when cold :(

Hello !

I was reading that a few people seemed to have the same problem that I am discovering. My RS4 doesn't seem to run very smoothly when cold. The acceleration is often not constant but comes in bursts.

I went for my 5k service recently (my car has around 4k) and mentioned that problem to the dealer. They discovered that I needed an ECM update. They updated it from version 0020 to 0030. They apparently called the Tech Line to get some help with the update and were told to take a look at the spark plugs and replace them if needed. After the update they didn't notice that problem anymore so they ended up not replacing anything. They even kept the car overnight to test drive it cold in the morning. Unfortunately it's still happening.

I want to go back to the dealer and ask them to repair it but I want to make sure I understand what the cause of the issue might be before I go so I can maybe convince them to look at more specific things and get the proper repair.

Any tips or info related to that issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks !
Old 04-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Deposits on the valves can cause this problem and can occur in a vehicle with so few miles. Has it thrown any CEL codes? Request that someone put a borescope in there and look around.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by aliscafo
Hello !
My RS4 doesn't seem to run very smoothly when cold. The acceleration is often not constant but comes in bursts.
Does it run like a champ after it's all warmed up?

Mine does the same above and waiting till oil is around 170 deg F to get on it has helped. I have a few miles to travel until getting out on a main road so I use this as my warm up drive.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nicht ein A4
Deposits on the valves can cause this problem and can occur in a vehicle with so few miles. Has it thrown any CEL codes? Request that someone put a borescope in there and look around.
Absolutely right!

That is the first warning sign (usually) of carbon buildup. Look at the threads from a few days ago, there are a few posts that relate exactly to your experience. You can have a lot of buildup before it even throws a code (and in fact you could have a fault code stored in the ECU memory which hasn't yet triggered the CEL light). Go to your dealer and have them inspect it fully (though they may try and fight you in the absence of a CEL light)...
Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by RS Maniac
Absolutely right!

That is the first warning sign (usually) of carbon buildup. Look at the threads from a few days ago, there are a few posts that relate exactly to your experience. You can have a lot of buildup before it even throws a code (and in fact you could have a fault code stored in the ECU memory which hasn't yet triggered the CEL light). Go to your dealer and have them inspect it fully (though they may try and fight you in the absence of a CEL light)...
Tanks for the info ! I will try and ask them to do that, they've seemed pretty helpful so far so hopefully they won't object.

I never had the CEL light come on, I've had the EPC light come on right after a cold start once and go away on subsequent starts but apparently the software update has taken care of that. Now that I think about it the EPC light came on when I first started noticing this problem.

Also do you think a bad break in could have caused this? If so, is there a way to put the engine back into that state and break it in better? Reading the other threads it seems like there is no permanent solution to this.

Anything that you guys have deducted helped resolved that issue somewhat?

I love this car, it's saddening that we have to deal with these kind of problems .

Thanks for your help !
Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Piston misfire

I don't know a good deal on cars.... yet. I'm new to these forum deals and know jack squat, but quickly learning.

Anyway... I brought my RS4 in for a check up around 5000k. I felt that the car was a little sluggish in the cold so when I brought it in to the dealer, I told them and they gladly checked it out. Fortunately my car was still under warranty and they found that a piston was misfiring and they had to go in and replace one. That may be the problem for you. Could be the carbon build up as well.

How long do audi's warranty run? 1 year, right?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by grendelswr
I don't know a good deal on cars.... yet. I'm new to these forum deals and know jack squat, but quickly learning.

Anyway... I brought my RS4 in for a check up around 5000k. I felt that the car was a little sluggish in the cold so when I brought it in to the dealer, I told them and they gladly checked it out. Fortunately my car was still under warranty and they found that a piston was misfiring and they had to go in and replace one. That may be the problem for you. Could be the carbon build up as well.
Hmm interesting. I'll ask about that.

I bought an extended warranty until 75k, looks like that will be useful .
Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

for a high compression car, rough running until warm is pretty much normal...
my e46 M3 does the same thing...
once they are warm, they run fine...
there's a reason they limit RPM's, eg, load until the engine is warm

many hipo cars run like crap until warmed up...12.5:1 compression requires a compromise for cold start-up running
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you brought the car in at 5,000,000 miles(km?)
they replaced a 'piston'?

Audi warranties in the States are 4 years/50k miles, whichever comes first...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

How long do Audi's warranty run? 1 year, right?
Audi of America(AoA) new vehicle warranty runs for 48 months or 50k miles whichever comes first. New car warranty starts at the date the car was first sold.

One year warranty sounds like the European warranties. If your car is a US spec'ed car it should be covered under AoA warranty. If by any chance you bought it for export and not US Spec'ed then you get a different warranty. (I know a few people from diplomatic missions in the US under that category)

Cheers

Nick

Quick Reply: RS4 doesn't run smoothly when cold :(