RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 European or TTRS/R8 Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 European or TTRS/R8 Steering Wheel

So Audi did not certify the cool RS4 flat bottom steering wheel for the US. Weird, because it comes in the US R32/GTI/TTRS/R8. I guess the numbers did not make sense for a separate safety certification for the small number of RS4 cars coming into the US.

Question - Has anyone located and installed this wheel (either the European RS4 or the TTRS/R8) on a US RS4? Apparently the recommendation is to go with the TTRS/R8 wheel as the European RS4 wheel loses the US tuner (radio) functionality (but you gain the SPEED button). You can get the emblems and the plastic bottom piece for this wheel so it will look like the European one, and it is supposed to be fairly easy to install.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by msanderslaw
So Audi did not certify the cool RS4 flat bottom steering wheel for the US. Weird, because it comes in the US R32/GTI/TTRS/R8. I guess the numbers did not make sense for a separate safety certification for the small number of RS4 cars coming into the US.

Question - Has anyone located and installed this wheel (either the European RS4 or the TTRS/R8) on a US RS4? Apparently the recommendation is to go with the TTRS/R8 wheel as the European RS4 wheel loses the US tuner (radio) functionality (but you gain the SPEED button). You can get the emblems and the plastic bottom piece for this wheel so it will look like the European one, and it is supposed to be fairly easy to install.
I have the TTRS wheel and I am very happy with it. I did not want to lost any functions yet still have the more aggressive flat bottom look. The TTRS wheel is thicker and more contour than both US/EU RS4 wheel. It really transforms the feeling of this car.

However I do feel that the EU RS4 wheel does look better than the standard TTRS wheel. If you can put the silver "T" at the bottom of the TTRS wheel that would be awesome. Last I hear Alex@europrice had one TTRS wheel still available.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I completely agree with RS4POWER. The TTRS wheel is a big improvement over stock, keeps all the functionality of the OE wheel, and is a VERY easy install. Got mine from Alex as well.

Reggie, who also has the TTRS wheel, has a great pictorial instruction for the install. Knowing all the tools you will need (in particular the 12mm triple square bit) and a couple of the "tricks", made it for about a 30 minute install. No VAG coding needed - totally plug & play.

Let me know if you can't find the instruction by searching - I think I still have it somewhere.

You will be very happy.

Bob
Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is a DIY http://wiki.quattroworld.com/index.p...eringWheelSwap
Old 11-27-2009, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the Euro RS4 wheel and its quite nice (installed by previous owner). I had to use a VAG to recode it since the buttons weren't working. I definitely miss the funtionality of the scroll wheels I had in my S4. Also, there seems to be no way to voice activate dialing since that button is lost also.

Dont mind the lack of detailing ...

Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If I were to go with the TTRS option from Alex, does anyone know if there are any safety / insurance concerns? Not to sound like "that guy", but it'd be just my luck that the one time my wife drives the car, the "improper" airbag deploys and injures her because it was designed for the TTRS vs. RS4 (or have the insurance company try to deny claims because it's not the correct airbag)?

Now, I'm purely speculating at this point, so maybe (hopefully, actually...) someone can dispel my concerns on this. It's this uncertainty that's posing reservations from my perspective; would appreciate any light someone can shed on this aspect.

Regards,
Joe
Old 12-09-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default TTRS sttering wheel & airbag

I hesitate to wade in here, but if the type of concern you voice keeps you up at night, don't do the mod.

I have it, love it, and would do it again in a second, but each of us has to assess the risk of what we do each day. I also occasionally exceed the speed limit and have been known to cross a street in the middle of the block instead of going to a crosswalk, so I'm clearly living on the edge.

You will never get anyone to "certify" what you are looking for, but several of us who have this wheel never give it a second thought. Everyone must decide on their own. But if you do it, you will love it.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4abob
I hesitate to wade in here, but if the type of concern you voice keeps you up at night, don't do the mod.

I have it, love it, and would do it again in a second, but each of us has to assess the risk of what we do each day. I also occasionally exceed the speed limit and have been known to cross a street in the middle of the block instead of going to a crosswalk, so I'm clearly living on the edge.

You will never get anyone to "certify" what you are looking for, but several of us who have this wheel never give it a second thought. Everyone must decide on their own. But if you do it, you will love it.
I have to second this opinion. I went through the same thought process and I am not worried about what could happen. The wheel has a two stage bag that the RS also had that and I am happy with believing it will be close enough or the same in performance.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Reggie,

Thanks again for the link. I have been thinking long and hard on this one...

Still thinking.

Originally Posted by Reggie
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love the thick, contoured rims of the Euro steering wheels, but the center airbag thingy ruins it for me. Reminds me of bumper cars.

Quick Reply: RS4 European or TTRS/R8 Steering Wheel