RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 or S5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll wager the RS4 will handily beat the S5, no problem...
Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Answers to your questions......

DO NOT buy a damaged car. You MUST, if you insist on doing so, talk to the insurance ADJUSTER before doing so. Only he/she can give you the information as to whether the car's value had been downgraded by the accident.

If it's been in an accident, chances are it's in the CARFAX directory. You can probably find it there and see how the wreck affected it's value.

Remember, you buy a used car, you're buying someone's problems. You're buying one that had been in an accident, you're buying more problems.

I wouldn't spend 60K on a car that's been in any kind of accident. If that's your ceiling, then go for a new S5.

The S5 is a nice car. Totally different look than the RS4. Depends on what you want. If a sharp coupe is your thing, then the S5 is for you. If you want four doors and the convenience that comes with it, go with the RS4.

If you want performance, go with the RS4. The S5 performs well, but it won't give you what the RS4 does. The RS4 is quicker, faster in the quarter mile, and probably does better on the skidpad.

Car and Driver got the S5 0-60 in 4.8. You won't find many reviews with the RS4 being slower than 4.6. Auto Week or Automobile caught the RS4 in 4.4 seconds, and I beleive there are a couple of reviews out there that got the RS4 is the 4.2-4.3 range 0-60.

The cars may sound similar from a performance standpoint, but they are, as Vijay pointed out, completely different animals.

I have an RS4 and won't trade for an S5. An RS5, when it's available, perhaps. Personally, I think the RS5 is a nicer looking car, but I prefer coupes to sedans anyways.

Unfortunately, after owning a Benz and a BMW, neither holds a candle to an Audi in terms of build quality, interior styling and subtelty. My wife doesn't know jack about cars, and even she can tell you that an Audi tops a Benz or a BMW- and she's driving a BMW.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

But he isn't talking about powerband "feel". I don't know how that even entered the discussion.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lol... Ok, I'll take you up on that wager. First, let's define what "handily" means...

Motor Trend ran a 13.0 with an RS4. They ran a 13.1 with the S5... do you call that being beaten "handily"?

From Edmunds: <i>"60 mph comes up in 4.9 seconds. You pass through the quarter-mile in 13.3 seconds at 104.6 mph. This compares to the 420-hp Audi RS4's 4.7-second acceleration to 60 mph and its quarter-mile pass of 13.2 seconds at 106.8 mph."</i><ul><li><a href="http://blogs.motortrend.com/6212023/editorial/2008-audi-s5-yum-yum/index.html">Click for S5 blog</a></li></ul>
Old 09-03-2007, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default S5

I just ordered an S5, so i might be a little biased.. (phantom Black) should be here (MA) in November.

The S5 will be more rare, especially for the next year or two. Apparently audi doesn't plan on selling very many of them.. but i think they will sell a lot as they should pick up a lot of first time audi buyers. Its a better looking car than the 4.

And the RS4, although an amazing vehicle, to most people looks like a lowered A4 with big wheels on it. Additionally, the design will be outdated in a year or so with the B8. Albeit a good looking car.

The S5 has been regarded as a better GT car than anything, if you want to track your car and cream every Evo, M3, or STi around... RS4 will do that, and provide you with one of the best all around cars available. if you're like me and don't floor it around every corner or at every light i think the S5's performance should suffice.

I looked at a used RS4 with about 13K and it was owned by an Audi exec.. couldn't get over how good looking the S5 interior compared.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tom's original statement was:

... but engine-wise, it almost seems a wash."

That's when Vijay responded with the feel and performance of the engine. It really is objectively and subjectively different than the FSI V8 in the RS5.

Tom seemed to appreciate Vijay's comments.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good grief... way to take it out of context.

No, here's the original statement... the whole statement... "From a acceleration performance viewpoint it doesn't seem like there would be much difference... RS4 has more HP but it's also heavier. I realize the RS4 has a lot of other things in its favor in the braking and handling departments, but engine-wise, it almost seems a wash."

Again, "From a acceleration performance viewpoint", that is how the question began. Then he proceeds to speak, essentialy, of power to weight. It's clear that he is speaking of straight line performance when he says "engine-wise". Nowhere did he mention 'how the engine feels' or 'when does the power come on' or anything subjective or tactile. Acceleration, a measureable component, is what he's referring to.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Alright, it's on! I prefer to prove these kind of things in real life, not from a magazine...
Old 09-04-2007, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm amazed that you guys think the S5 will even be close to the RS4

Its got what 350hp c/w 420. How much is the weight differential? S5 strikes me as a cruiser/GT while the RSs4 is more of a purpose-built racing machine, no?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESFO, do you have much seat time in an RS4?

If you did, you'd understand just how much of a difference the engine makes to the performance and feeling of the car. Certainly Tom had not considered that until after Vijay wrote.

If the US RS5 comes in 400 lbs lighter than the RS4 then we'll all certainly be happy. But, as you said, it still falls short of the RS4 in power-to-weight ratio. Given that, and the lack of driver involvement that's being reported for the S5, given the choice today I'd still go with the RS4.

Now, should an RS5 be announced, that's a different story. I'm first on the order list at my dealer.

Quick Reply: RS4 or S5?