RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4--Some thoughts after a week (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4--Some thoughts after a week (long)

I thought this would be a good time to jot down some thoughts about the first 6 days with the RS4 (Daytona Gray). I took delivery on a Thursday, so all I really did for the first two days was sit in traffic and fiddle with the electronics. But, with the rare occurrence of both children in camp simultaneously, the wife and I headed to Santa Barbara and points north for some rest and wine tasting. In fact, I am writing this while sitting on the balcony, overlooking the Pacific. I know it's out there, shrouded in fog.

Driving has included freeway, downtown traffic, and lots of back roads, twisties, smooth and rough pavement, and some gravel roads (driveways to wineries tend to be unpaved in Sideways country).

Random impressions:

Interior and comfort: Everything works as advertised (NAV, CD, MP3, and Bluetooth) and is much easier to comprehend after some repeated use. I would guess I have a few hours in playing in the garage and reading the manuals, but on the road, it all works nicely. The BT phone is an absolute favorite of mine. I have loaded several voice numbers and have had zero issue with it linking to either the Razr or the Blackberry (although the system will download only 500 of the 1500 #s in my BB). I burned two memory cards and loaded the nearly complete Beatles catalog. Sirius is a bit of a complaint, as the signal cut in and out while on the back roads, in canyons and on areas of the road covered by California Oak trees. No matter, as I simply switched to CD or MP3 for tunes. Seating position and comfort is very nice. I had concerns that the firm seating would tend to be a bit uncomfortable on a long drive, but was happy to find this not the case at all. And the seats grip well on twisties, offering excellent support. The steering wheel could do with being a bit beefier (it is thinner than the M Wheel I had in my BMW 540i Sport), but otherwise comfortable. Of course, when you are tackling back roads, none of this stuff matters.

Ride and handling: Perfect. No really. The ride on freeways and smooth pavement is firm, yet compliant, exactly as others have written. There is some road noise on concrete surfaces and there is more noise on uneven, cracked surfaces. Certainly this is a function of the tire and wheel package coupled with that firm ride. Turn the tunes up and forget about it. Another hairpin is ahead. The RS4 sticks like glue. JB Weld, I think. This is my third Quattro (2 A6's preceded this) and I never realized how much I missed AWD. The system is there, you know it is working, but there is no intrusion, no notice that the car's various systems are functioning to keep you planted. The faster I take a turn, the better the car feels. The steering is very quick and requires just minimal inputs to point the car. And this thing simply rotates around a fast corner with no drama. The roads we traveled were surprisingly empty, so I drove moderately aggressively, held back by my wife's consistent clutching of the grab handle above the passenger door. I also have a 1996 993TT and would liken the RS4 handling to be in line with it, just a bit heavier and more comfortable.

Engine: Still in the break-in-period, so I took it easy, keeping the revs down. Exhaust note is great, better in S mode. The power is at hand always and throttle response is immediate, especially in S mode. Certainly compared to the 540i, this Audi lump is a whole new game. I can't wait for the break-in to end and explore this more.

Brakes: I know brakes and these are top of the game. Balance, modulation, stopping power all rate at the top. That's it.

Presence, Style: Daytona is certainly a great color. The RS4 attracts no attention, except with those in the know. At one winery, a couple with a new A6 came in and immediately conversation turned to the RS4. May have miffed the winery employee, as we simply drank, talked Audi and left without buying anything. Hours later, we met the same couple again in a small town; he had parked his A6 (black) behind the RS4 on the street. No pics, I am afraid. Headed to another winery on one of the twisty roads, I noticed a Honda coming up behind me. So I hit it a little harder and pulled away. But, not knowing where the next driveway was (many of the wineries in Santa Barbara County do not show up on the NAV), I backed off. Honda caught up and turned into the winery with us. Turned out the driver worked at the winery. She commented on the car and how I just pulled away through the turns. I bought a couple of bottles from her (her strategy of flattery was effective). And one last story: I was able to park directly in front of the restaurant a couple of nights ago. As I pulled up, an older couple was just headed to the restaurant door. They must have heard the rumble of the exhaust as both turned and looked, the gentleman pointing at the car. They did not enter right away, but waited, looking at the car, until we approached. He smiled at me, then turned and entered the restaurant. All this was going on; I was oblivious to the couple leaving as we entered. Carol Burnett and her husband walked out as I held the door. They climbed into their MBZ M-class. I don't think Carol notice the RS4.

In closing, the RS4 is quickly turning out to be the best car I have ever owned. I will post some further impressions once break-in has passed.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Great write-up. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

nice! can you post pics of your 993TT? one of my favorite p-cars of all time
Old 06-28-2006, 07:03 AM

Default Was it just Carol Burnett? or..

were her friends with her too?

j/k..

Great write up, congrats on the car and great color. I am only more looking forward to mine now

Enjoy!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Super review! Congrats!

I wait the same RS4 color you have - delivery in 1 week!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Fear the Miata!

nice write-up....well done!!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:28 AM

Carol and her husband. They visit the eatery frequently.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:30 AM

Default Pics here.........

<ul><li><a href="http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/Dan993">993TT Pics here</a></li></ul>
Old 06-28-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

woot
Old 06-28-2006, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: RS4--Some thoughts after a week (long)

Nice write-up, man. Reminds me of my first week with the new Beast. I'm rapidly approaching 1000 miles and getting ready to explore the next 1/3 of the Tach. I can't wait.

A question for you. I also have a Blackberry, but the phone book will not download to the car. Anything special that you did?

TIA

Quick Reply: RS4--Some thoughts after a week (long)