RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 track impressions at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 track impressions at VIR

Just got back from ANCA at VIR where I was able to get some laps in the RS4 and thought I would compare it to the S4 for the record.

I am a novice driver (this was my 7th HPDE). The only modification was the gas pedal for easier rev matching. Stock pads and fluid, street tires.

The suspension is the biggest improvement. Turn in is quick, no understeer, and you can trail brake into oversteer like a hero (what a fricken' hoot!) DSC has received some bad press, but I am a believer. Especially under braking, where you get little nose dive, unlike the S4 which feels like it wants to auger the nose into the ground and the tail gets twitchy. And in hard corners, it is very flat, but it retains suspension travel. This was apparent if I nailed an inside curb in a hard turn - the car would just eat it up. Check out the last bit in the video below and see how the chassis stays planted even when nailing the curb at Oak Tree.

The power doesn't suck either. In a nut shell, this is a really fun track car, right out of the box.<ul><li><a href="http://jandjsalmon.com/video/AudiClubRS4.mpg">Video</a></li></ul>
Old 04-26-2007, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! Nice video and encouraging comment.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Looks good, beautiful car. I was the Black Allroad running around in the beginner group.

Good information as I may pick one up in 2 years when my buddies comes off lease.

BTW what software did you use to edit your video clips? I have some DVD footage and need to edit it. Thanks~
Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default nice video, and I agree w/you about DRC.

the people giving DRC 'bad press' fall into one of the following categories:

1) they're trying to sell another suspension.
2) they bought another suspension and are engaging in prosaic masturbation.
3) they had problems with their DRC, and believe it can't be repaired (or they don't want to be bothered with having it repaired).
Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default There is one more Bob....

I just could not stand the wheel gap but did not want a low-brow solution installed on this car.

The stock suspension got a whole 400 miles on my watch, it performed well, not as well as my stock E46 M3 suspension, but well.....400 miles.

Stasis is gvery good but my E30 M3 would run circles around it. But damn it looks really good.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well I don't agree with you Bob because you don't know any better! LOL.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I saw you there...

One of the reasons I bought this car was I ended up taking my allroad down earlier this spring when the other car wouldn't run. Despite the all-season tires and cooking the brakes, the thing was a hoot to drive. Personally, with my experience level, I like the way Audis drive on the track - it's nice to have a cushion of safety...unless you really don't mind balling your car up. Allroads are the best all-around car on the planet!

We have Studio 9 video editing software. It's very easy to use. It think I got it through Dell when I bought the computer. The wife wanted me to edit family videos, but all I have ever done with it is compile track video!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:57 AM

Jet Jockey! get a life and stop posting on every RS4 thread!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice, Thanks for the info and keep the shiny side up.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 RS4s were at Watkins Glen NEQ event this week

2 Daytona Gray
1 Sprint Blue
1 Phantom of the Opera Black

No DRC failures.
No brake failures.
No tire failures.

I'll need to become a much better track driver before I'm able to full tax the limits of this car.

Quick Reply: RS4 track impressions at VIR