RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

seat memory module, take two (still doesn't work)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat memory module, take two (still doesn't work)

make a long story short: the dealership finally replaced the seat memory module (second visit) and low and behold the seat reverted back to it's nasty ways. what did we find out this go around? it must have something to do with the actual KEYS and the programming of them. the key seems to be overriding whatever memory is set in the seat module and all it takes is for the doors to be locked and re-opened with the keys just one time.

maybe they'll order new keys next?

life could be worse but this is starting to suck.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:17 PM

Default sorry to hear

hang in there, it should get worked out.

on a side note, so they were right in balking at repacing the memory module, but still couldn't provide an alternative repair diagnosis. the key, that's interesting. i'd like to know how that's possible.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default i'm not sure....if they couldn't correctly "re-program" the car/seats then

replacing the seat memory module was the only alternative. it actually did work the first time and every time thereafter. what they FAILED TO DO was CHECK the KEYS and their lock/unlocking programming as they are directly tied to the seat memory. once i locked the car at work and unlocked it at the end of the day the seat mysteriously reset itself to a configuration that had not been originally saved. hence, it must have something to do with how the keys work with the seat memory module.

they're now doing what they can on the customer service side of things but are failing on the repair side.

will let u know what they find out.

regards
Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 AM

well, good luck
Old 06-01-2007, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mine doesn't work either.

At the first service, mine will be the second module that they have replaced recently. The other was not from an RS4. I hope it works.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default WHOA! second module.....they'd never commit to putting another one in

i don't think
Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Normal behaviour possibly?

I was confused/annoyed about the way the memory seats/keys work at first (not like most other cars).

After reading the manual section on this 2x slowly... :-) it appears that this is normal operation - at least it's how my car behaves.

The memory keys return the seat/etc position to the position last set with that key - regardless of the programmed mem settings in the car.

For example, you get in the car and press Mem 1 to adjust your seat/etc to your saved preferences. Part way through your ride you adjust something manually. Upon eventually exiting/locking the car the next time you unlock the car with that same key the seat/etc will be returned to the manually adjusted position you last messed around with. The programmed mem settings are irrelevant.

In short, unless I missed something or my car too is messed up, there seems to be no way to simply have key 1 always invoke programmed seat mem 1., key 2 invoke mem 2, etc. Mem settings seem only useful for pressing once you are in/entering the car.

I don't like this approach - like most car owners with mem seats I expected the mem to be tied to the keys, period. If my wife (5'2") grabs my key and zips off somewhere, the next time I grab my key to drive I've almost driven my knee into my chin before I realize the seat is so far forward. I've since gotten into the habit of pressing my mem button on the door as soon as I open the door.

Does this add anything to the assessment of your problem?

Cheers, Karl
Old 06-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default again, the key seems to override the settings and won't let ME re-set the memory

or in other words, once you unlock the car with the key and "re=program" the seat memory module the seat memory module won't hold that setting. example: you unlock the car, the seat reverts to some other setting, you re-adjust and set memory module #1, PRESS memory #1 again and the seat returns itself to the position of the seat when you first unlocked the car.

i will re-read your reply.

thanks again!!