RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

So apparently the TPMS in the RS4 is an active type with radio sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default So apparently the TPMS in the RS4 is an active type with radio sensors...

because the annoying flat tire warning indicator keeps going off in my DIS after mounting a different set of wheels/tires despite the fact that all the tire pressures are normal and despite all efforts to reset the TPMS via the DIS or indicate that a wheel change was done.

After referring to the owner's manual, its descriptions clearly suggest that it is an active type with radio sensors and that any wheel swapped in must be compatible with the audi's on board TPMS. Translation: go to your dealership and pay them money to have special valves with compatible sensors installed.

Weak. Too bad Audi did not go with a passive system like on bmw's. They're just as effective in detecting unsafe tire pressure loss and will work with any wheel you swap into the car without having to buy or install individual sensors in the wheel... not to mention cheaper to implement on Audi's part since a passive system uses ABS/wheel speed sensors and electronics already equipped in the car.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI, the TPMS list for about $110/wheel
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passive systems are nowhere near as effective...

The response time of active systems are instant. Passive systems take time.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if the active system is so instant, why did it take an hour of driving for my RS4 to tell me...

that I have a flat tire because I swapped out the wheels that had the sensors in them?

IMO, passive sensors perfectly adequate. I ran over a nail at a construction site in my M5 and only after driving about 100 yards past the area where I likely picked up the nail did iDrive already tell me I had a flat tire.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

the vendor should have told you this when you bought the wheels, no?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have no interest in spending $110/wheel for sensors on a track set...

since I regularly check and adjust the exact hot pressures manually almost after every run session anyway. I just want a way to disable it when I'm not running the stock wheels, perhaps via VAG coding. I've posted this question on the VAG-COM forum...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Did you have to press Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, A, B, B, A, Start, for iDrive to tell you that?:)

I think I had to do the same thing on my old nintendo to enter the God Mode on Super Mario Bros.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Try this to disable the TPMS

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/vag/msgs/9041.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/vag/msgs/9041.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 07-11-2006, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nowhere near? Not true; a few PSI difference will trigger the BMWs' 'passive' system...

...with only a few wheel revolutions. Doesn't get much more instant than that, nor does it need to be.

In contrast, the sensors in my Touareg were nowhere near accurate.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is a difference between the sensors being absent and them being present.

If the senors are transmitting data, it will immediately warn of of a 35 psi-25 psi swing.

The total absense of sensors confuses the system. It gives itself a few chances to try again...then finally gives you the error.

Your case talks about a very fast pressure loss. Where the active system is superior is a slow leak.

Even being a couple PSI down from spec can be very dangerous if you're out on the Autobahn with a fully loaded 4 door car.

Quick Reply: So apparently the TPMS in the RS4 is an active type with radio sensors...