RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

So Evil, what's the latest on your RS4 misfire? Have they drained the gas tank yet? : )...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Evil, what's the latest on your RS4 misfire? Have they drained the gas tank yet? : )...

seriously I wish you only the best in getting your car fixed. Hopefully it will turn out to be fairly minor.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure it's just a bent framiscam.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: So Evil, what's the latest on your RS4 misfire? Have they drained the gas tank yet? : )...

I have been following this thread with great interest. I feel Evil's pain, but I question the rush to question FSI technology. I checked some other Audi forums and have not run into many threads related to engine misfires. This, coupled with the fact that FSI technology is not new (I believe Audi had been playing with it for the last 8 years or so, please correct me if I am wrong), leads me to question if the sky is really falling.

That said, I hope I don't hop into my RS4 this weekend and have the check engine light come on!

Safe driving.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Okay,

just to set the record straight, I am not criticising FSI. I am half laughing and half PO'd about this myth being dumped on Audi FSI owners that they must use Shell Vpower.

I think you're comments make perfect sense, except skip a week of driving you RS4. I heard it's good for the injectors : )
Old 04-06-2007, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with Dave (must be a Good Friday thing)

I think FSI technology is fabulous.

I agree with Dave on V-Power. Yesterday was the 2nd time I heard about this "fix" coming from an Audi service department, and my own service tech clued me in on problems they are starting to see on other FSI models with misfires and valve deposits in the shop.

I've not had a problem myself, but I am obsessive about upkeep, oil type/changes, and fuel additives, as everyone here can attest. There are definitely issues that need to be taken into consideration with our engine, based on solid data. The normal joe schmo or soccer mom won't give a rats *** about the engine in their A3, A4, A6, or Q7, until the check engine light comes on, or it's time for the 10K mile oil change, whichever comes first.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Okay,

Unfortunately for me skipping a week is easy since I live in NYC and take the subway to work. I wish I could drive my RS4 every day!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Agree with Scott...it's contagious...

I think it's clear what he's been saying all along, and if anyone knows, he does.

So many people lease their cars,that they can almost skip this entire issue. If somehing goes seriously wrong, not their problem. If the car is unrepairable, again, not their problem. They wlll be quickly set up with a new lease vehicle, and all is well.

However, those who own their Audi's best pay attention to some of these issues which RI RS4 has been kind enough to povide data on here on regular basis.

You can't say enough good thngs about someone lke Scott, who is enthusiastic, informed, diligent, and extremely helpful to other RS4 owners.

If it seems like I'm at odds with him a lot, it is simply to probe for more definitive answers. Point - counterpoint kind of thing.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: So Evil, what's the latest on your RS4 misfire? Have they drained the gas tank yet? : )...

Try some BG 44K, its the best cleaner on the market. (If you suspect it may be carbon deposits on the valve, sludge build-up, this will take care of it). I was having misfires on my b6 S4 for a while after I bought it, and havent had any issues since I used this additive. BTW you can get this at checker, and maybe NAPA (call and ask if they carry it, not all auto parts stores do).
Old 04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are some good fuel additive and cleaner discussion threads on BITOG

If you search for BG 44K you'll find that it is comparable to other lesser priced fuel additives like Techron, Redline SL-1 ... etc. A comment from Terry Dyson stated that he found it to be quite strong and saw that in oil UOAs afterwards, soft metal wear (copper, lead) from bearings was elevated.<ul><li><a href="http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=UBB5&amp;page=0">Fuel Additives and cleaners</a></li></ul>
Old 04-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: There are some good fuel additive and cleaner discussion threads on BITOG

Any effective cleaner is going to be slightly corrosive (thats why it works!). If that is the problem any of the cleaners you mentioned will probably do the trick, and then at least you know for sure what the problem is.

Quick Reply: So Evil, what's the latest on your RS4 misfire? Have they drained the gas tank yet? : )...