RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Stock Suspension: Front ride height too high!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Suspension: Front ride height too high!

I have an 08 RS4 Cabrio, fully stock, DRC recall complete. The front end sits 1/2" higher than the rear, doesn't look right. Car is still under warranty (barely) but dealer thinks it is "within spec." Can anything be done to "adjust" front ride height?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's how it's designed. If you measure the trim height by the book, you'll see that your car is likely well within spec. It only looks higher in front because of the way the front vs. rear fenders are cut. If it really bugs you, the only cure is to go aftermarket coil-overs. Your car will then actually be down in the front, which potentially could effect high speed stability.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for response - I figured that is what I would hear but I am surprised others don't feel the same (that it looks too high). If I measure from ground to highest point of wheel arch (at front fender)... it is a good 1/2" higher than the rear. Guess I'm a detail guy but figured most RS4 owners are as well. Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 777lee777
Thanks for response - I figured that is what I would hear but I am surprised others don't feel the same (that it looks too high). If I measure from ground to highest point of wheel arch (at front fender)... it is a good 1/2" higher than the rear. Guess I'm a detail guy but figured most RS4 owners are as well. Thanks again.
All the cars are like that. The front fender arches are higher because the front wheels have to clear for turning.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not true. My 07 A6 Avant with air suspension measures identical front and rear - no matter whether in Dynamic, normal or Lift. In fact, the RS is the only car of my ever expanding fleet that is higher in the front. Again, if this is normal (for an RS), I can't believe I'm the only one who notices.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ezveedub
All the cars are like that. The front fender arches are higher because the front wheels have to clear for turning.
No. The increased front height is to prevent the bottom of the front bumper from scraping. This is an American thing as many owners have complained in the past. So, most manufacturers got tired of complaints and raised the fronts of some cars that have a low bumper. More recently, if cars do not have a low bumper, they don't raise the front.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Again, if this is normal (for an RS), I can't believe I'm the only one who notices.
It's normal for the RS4 and many cars. And, you are not the only who noticed it. I've known from the day I bought my car new and much longer since I've owned several other cars.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for comments. I'm not sure how the car is suspended with the stock DRC, is it a coil spring that sets ride height? If yes, I wonder if anyone has tried removing, shaving and re-inserting the coil? Or dumb idea?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

btw... where is "way out west?" I'm in Boise, Idaho area.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for comments. I'm not sure how the car is suspended with the stock DRC, is it a coil spring that sets ride height? If yes, I wonder if anyone has tried removing, shaving and re-inserting the coil? Or dumb idea?
Yes, fixed height (perch) coil springs. And, yes, dumb idea to alter coil springs...

Quick Reply: Stock Suspension: Front ride height too high!