RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Sub mod done tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub mod done tomorrow...

Finally having the sub installed with the new amp. Interesting story, was supposed to be done 2 weeks ago, but the shop I bought the equipment from, when i took the car in to get done, they had "Going out of Business" signs all over the place. I just picked up the sub and amp, cancelled the install. No way was I gonna have work done at a shop leaving town. Too many potential issues there. So took it to another place, with gear. Looked at it toay, looks good. They have the fiberglass box done, and were working on the faceplate and amp mount. Tomorrow they will finish up and I pick up after work. Can't wait to play some "Baby Got Back" and test that sub! Will post pics tomorrow. On the downside, the speaker grill is still on order, so will have to run without for a bit, hope it gets here soon. The grill I ordered is below:

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm

Funky design, thought it would look different.

FYI doing the same components as Canuck:

Hertz HX250 sub
Alpine 1.600 amp
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Sub mod done tomorrow...

You'll love it. Give the sub a few days to "stretch" out. It'll blow you away.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Nice. I miss having decent bass in my car.

All the factory systems just seem overwhelmed trying to produce decent bass that it brings down the rest of the system with it.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds (will sound) good. I'm ok with the rear shelf replacement I did but

the 10" in an enclosure should be really nice. Let us know about buzzing panels, I hate that. The Pioneer 8" I put in the rear shelf is 100x better than stock but easily over powers the structure of the shelf etc. and some vibration sets in.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nice, looking forward to some pics of how it turns out. Mine works just great,

no panel vibration issues at all.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default you can try lining that shelf with dynamat

do you have a baffle around the sub at all, or is it just open air?

I'm a big fan of sealed enclosures
Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default TwentyValve...

Dynamat... I'll look that up, thanks.
The speaker is ok for open air per it's spec but would be way better with an enclosure. That would stick even further down into the trunk though. Now the back sticks out less than 2" through the original hole.<ul><li><a href="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Subwoofers/Shallow/TS-SW841D">Pioneer shallow 8</a></li></ul>
Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default You can get creative with the enclosure...

for instance, nothing says it has to be cube-like. There's generally a minimum spacing between the magnet and enclosure, but with a sub like this I can't imagine it's more than an .5-1"... and 1/4" MDF is probably more than sufficient... so you'd only lose another 1.25" tops.

Looks like the recommended volume is minimal, .15-.5 cubic feet. somewhere around .3-.35 is probably ideal, but that will depend on what kind of music you're listening to. bigger = boomier, smaller = tighter. You're already getting a nice 3dB gain off of the rear glass, so a smaller box would probably do well.

Where are you located? I can't imagine a custom enclosure like this would run more than $100 or so. Obviously the fiberglass route will be a bit more, but a carpeted wood box will do fine.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll make one to see how good it can get, it's a PITA working upside down in the trunk though.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice sub and amp combo.

Do it some justice and play some real music on there. "Baby got back" will sound good on any Wal-Mart system.

Quick Reply: Sub mod done tomorrow...