RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Suspension noise - what's normal, what's not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension noise - what's normal, what's not?

I had the front shocks and two central valves replaced a couple months ago. Currently the system appears leak-free (touch wood) and the performance feels normal and tight. It's an 08 with 10k miles (2k on the new front shocks)

I've noticed that when going over certain bumps, such as those that only one side of the car hits, like slightly raised manhole covers or other abrupt bumps, I'll hear a 'clunk' from the compressing strut, usually only from the front, and it doesn't matter what side since the noise is exactly the same. (This noise is never heard when going over speed bumps, even large ones, probably since they're driven over at such a slow rate of speed.)

My OCD has been fueled by the DRC failures, and repeated failures even after the parts have been replaced, so I'm no longer sure what's a normal sound and what's not, especially since a failing DRC system has been described by these 'clunks' over bumps.

Correct me if I am wrong here: Physically speaking, a strut will compress to the point where it can't or doesn't need to any more. It will obviously give a certain physical or audible feedback when the shock or spring reaches its maximum compression. Since there's no leaking fluid anywhere on any of the struts, is this "clunk" I'm hearing just the limit of physical travel for the components?

I want to stress that the car feels great and very responsive, it's just that I cringe when I go over something in the road that has not made noise in my previous cars (E60 M5, E39 M5, JGC SRT-8) on the same exact stretch of roadway. Perhaps the RS4's suspension travel is less than my previous cars and I'm just noticing it more?

Thanks for any help or insight!

-Matt
Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Suspension noise - what's normal, what's not?

i have the same issue with clunk noise when hitting a slightly raised pothole/patch on the road. i hear the clunk when i go over small 1-2 inch potholes at a fairly low speed. sometimes it sounds like my shock nuts are loose it's an obvious 'bang' but the car drives fine.

so you aren't alone, just not sure if this is normal either. i have an 07 with 20k miles.

i called audi dealer and they told me they never heard of any DRC issues and never had to replace any rs4 with bad shocks. pretty sure they were trying to feed me BS.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 AM

Default Just noticing the same exact thing 08 with 7k miles

When I hit both sides evenly no noise. Any chance it has something to do with extreme cold? I just started noticing it over the past few days. The weather has been particularly cold in the Northeast
Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ha! My local audi shop said the same... "drc? never heard of problems ever!" riiiiight
Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Suspension noise - what's normal, what's not?

I have the same issue with my car and, yes, it is worse with cold temperatures. Just had the car checked last week and dealer said there were no issues (no leaks, etc.)

It sure DOESN'T sound normal, even if it is. Thinking of taking it to another dealer.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default With all due respect, they may have actually never heard of it......

We all here on the AW RS4 forum are keyed into the whole subject matter because we are here and our enthusiast nature makes us more keenly aware of these things.

Depending on the Audi dealer, they may have only sold 3-4 RS4s in total....ever. They may have, in fact , never run across a DRC problem,and not ever had any reason to investigate the matter unless such an issue presented itself.

Never underestimate the stupidity of your dealership. They sell cars. I'm willing to bet that no one who works there has won a Nobel Prize in Physics.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the same issue

When cruising for chicks at the local mall, all those little speed bumps make the front struts go clucnk, on decompression it seems. Its like the car drops faster than the struts can expand.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Exact same thing here. Dealer said that they can't replicate the noise. I was out Xmas shopping

today and had to turn the car around and bring it back home. It is so loud it sounds like the car is falling apart. This really sucks.

Here's the kicker, the service dept told me that the exhaust could be the problem that was making noise, so I spent the better part of the day removing the exhaust, reinstalling the stock system and driving it. THE NOISE IF STILL THERE. So I pull it back into the garage and reinstalled the Milltek.

The worst thing is that I can't enjoy the car that I never drive on Christmas.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

but you're running motorsports.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Yup, my dealer barely sees S4's.

And they definitely don't see mine

I'm pretty sure I know more than they do.

Quick Reply: Suspension noise - what's normal, what's not?