RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Test drove an M3 last night.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove an M3 last night.

I'm looking for something to replace my S4 with so I decided to hit up my local Lexus, Mercedes and BMW dealers. Its too bad the RS4 has stopped production because I would have liked to include that in the comparison too.

Out of the three dealerships, the only car I actually got to drive was the M3. Lexus would not let me drive the IS-F. They told me that before they let me drive it they have to make sure it is the right car for me which they felt it wasn't. Well basically that translated to "We don't think you can afford it so therefore we're not letting some punk kid like you drive it". So then I went to Mercedes but they didn't have a C63 in stock so they took my info and will call me when they get one.

On to BMW, where the salesman was a very avid car guy which made the experience very enjoyable. He took me on a lot of back roads where we could just go nuts with the throttle as well as test the handling of the M. I was actually very impressed by the way it handled. Everything was so effrotless. The engine had more than enough punch down low for me but it may not be for everyone. The exhaust note was very unique. It was like listening to a more refined Camaro V-8. Definitely not as sophisticated as the RS4 that I've heard before but it sure does make you want to get on the throttle. The dash layout was very plain compared to the RS4 and IS-F but the rest of the interior was very nice. I did like the seats in the M and thought they were much more supportive than the IS-F seats. The side bolsters were slightly larger than the RS4.

In the end, I think the differences between all of these cars are so small that there really is no best car. There are little things here and there that differentiate each one and it will be up to the buyer to determine which car is the right one for them.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i'd still hit an 08 RS4. last of breed, best of breed.

and check the options box for the euro seats and flat bottomed steering wheel if you can
Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What the Lexus dealer told you is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

How can THEY possibly know what car is "right" for YOU? Would they prefer you bought an IS250? I woulda flipped, then left.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

why does it matter if its in production still?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Um, slight correction, THE difference between all these cars is AWD

none of the others offer it.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can't get one other than used. I haven't seen any at my dealer except a black one.

I am not interested in a black car so that throws that out the window.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

True. AWD is not important for me though. Hawaii never sees snow.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's not just about snow, and Hawaii does see some pretty heavy rain......

Even on dry pavement, AWD is a huge benefit when you start getting above about 350hp. It allows you to use the power with much more safety and control. And, in those heavy rains, you will still be able to enjoy your car safely.

Still, as you said, these are all phenomenal cars, each has it's pros and cons. Can't really go wrong with any of them.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You can't

I showed them pictures and they checked with AudiUSA without success
Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default From various recent posts, there are many '08s sitting on dealer lots around the US...

Of course, that doesn't help you much in Hawaii unless you can ship one over.

Quick Reply: Test drove an M3 last night.