RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Thinking of buying and RS4...Toughts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying and RS4...Toughts...

Hey guys, I'm new on here. I've been thinking of purchasing an RS4. I've been looking around and have been doing homework on the vehicle. I've owned 2 M3's and have fallen for the RS4. I've been reading that there have been a lot of issues with the RS4 and I want to know does every RS4 have these problems? DCM, Carbon build up etc...I'm I going to have to fork over 50k then put down more money on repairs very soon? I want something reliable and that I can run hard. I don't want problem after problem. Can you guys give me some opinions and what to expect from owning an RS4. I'm looking to get one with Under 25k miles. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't say that there has been a lot of issues with the B7 RS4, but there are a couple of issues to be aware of when shopping for a used example.

In particular, make sure you check the condition of the DRC suspension. If it is leaking you will eventually get knocking noises and the shocks will require replacement.

Carbon buildup has also been identified as an issue - there is not a lot that can be done to detect or prevent this, but a scan with VCDS (VAG-COM) should reveal if it is at the stage where it may require attention (look for engine knocks, CEL etc).

I have had my RS4 for a few years now and have loved every minute of it. Make sure you take the time to find the right car and I'm sure you too will have a great experience with the RS4.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RSFOURME
Hey guys, I'm new on here. I've been thinking of purchasing an RS4. I've been looking around and have been doing homework on the vehicle. I've owned 2 M3's and have fallen for the RS4. I've been reading that there have been a lot of issues with the RS4 and I want to know does every RS4 have these problems? DCM, Carbon build up etc...I'm I going to have to fork over 50k then put down more money on repairs very soon? I want something reliable and that I can run hard. I don't want problem after problem. Can you guys give me some opinions and what to expect from owning an RS4. I'm looking to get one with Under 25k miles. Thanks for your input.
DRC is recalled by Audi of America...they will cover the replacement in full for free no matter what mileage the car has...not sure what that other guy was saying to watch out for DRC

I bought mine certified and i would only recommend it certified. Overall, for such a powerful car, it seems to be rock solid.

Carbon buildup can also be covered under warranty. (only if CEL is present) Audi steps up and I am pleased with their response.

Our car will go down as a "classic", in fact, just finished reading an article that V8s will only be on heavy duty trucks by 2015.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RSFOURME

I've had my RS4 for about 5 months. I bought it with 47K miles on it. I've test drove another RS4 and it was very sluggish. This I assumed was one with severe carbon build up, as mine pulls/shoots at about 5,000 RPM vs. the one I test drove; which didn't. Interestingly, I bought mine out of Texas, which has 93 octane and was told by the Audi dealership that the previous owner "babied" the car. I don't know if this made a difference, as it is cleaner gas and could prolong the carbon appearance issue. Or, the owner may have had the carbon issue addressed; but that didn't show in the 8 page maintenance report Audi gave me. Nonetheless, I've been super happy with mine.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default RS4

I was looking at a used RS4 also. The car is a 2008 with 49000 on it but it has the CPO 6yr 100,000 warranty. Usually 49000 is a lot of miles for me ,but I am curious. Has anyone else purchased one with higher mileage without any major issues?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VADER332
I was looking at a used RS4 also. The car is a 2008 with 49000 on it but it has the CPO 6yr 100,000 warranty. Usually 49000 is a lot of miles for me ,but I am curious. Has anyone else purchased one with higher mileage without any major issues?
Just a heads up. The 6 year warranty breaks down to 4 years from when the car was purchased new, after 4 years a 2 year CPO warranty kicks in with a $80.00 to $90.00 deductible for warranty work.

So a 2008 has roughly a year left of factory warranty then a 2 year /50k warranty (which ever comes first)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VADER332
Mine had 47k on it. No issues to date.